Is AlQaeda eyeing the Queen Mary 2

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It could be a legitamate threat. It could also be disinformation intended to distract attention from one "target" while the Bad Guys go for something very different.

These people are not stupid. They know what sort of signals intelligence capabilities their target nations have. If you were them and knew that your enemy was listening in on your conversations and reading your mail, might you not offer them something "interesting" to listen to? That's what I would do.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Using the QM2 as a front to draw away intelligence from their real target is likely, but I would not like the QM2 to be the Titanic of the 21st Century!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Coming from someone who is going to be on the voyage, the threat adds a weird Lusitania like overtone to the whole trip.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>but I would not like the QM2 to be the Titanic of the 21st Century!<<

Neither would I.

>>Wasn't the Lusitania case worse, with reporters at the dock seeing 'the final voyage'?<<

Worse how? The ship was torpedoed and people died in mass quantities. If somebody took out the QM2, then there's a good possibility that even more people would die in mass quantities.

Feb 14, 2011
I highly doubt the QM2 will be attacked,
im sure security will be very tight, divers will inspect her hull, etc...

I doubt QM2 would be seriously targeted by terrorists because thats whats many people would expect...

Terrorists lurk in shadows, and seem to uneash their WMD when noone is expecting it.....

HOWEVER, I will be concerned when QM2 is used as a hotel during the Olympics in Greece....

But lets not be frightened by this air of terrorist propaganda that is being fueled by western politicians today....

Its akin to the cold war, when people were convinced at any moment nuclear missles would rain from the skies....

I suspect, in some perverse way, many Titanic buffs who will sail the QM2 would want her to go down, so like the Titanic passengers of nearlly a century ago, they too would find thier names etched in history...

QM2 will be with us for a loong time, ill bet by large intestine on that one...

It will be interesting to read this thread one year from today....
tarn Stephanos

May 12, 2005
"Ships are big and they don't sink very well."

This quote at the end of the article Mark just posted seems a 21st century twist on 1912 overconfidence.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
".....would want her to go down....they too would like to find their names etched in history...." I took a quick poll amongst those I know going on the maiden sailing and, surprisingly, not one of us is secretly hoping for immortality via violent death. I don't think that any Titanic buffs are THAT dedicated. I don't know of anyone who plans on cancelling but, like it or not, it WILL be on everyones minds at certain points during the voyage.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Tarn wrote:

I suspect, in some perverse way, many Titanic buffs who will sail the QM2 would want her to go down, so like the Titanic passengers of nearlly a century ago, they too would find thier names etched in history...

Not exactly, Tarn.
First off, I always figure that my family does not want me to go on a submersible to the wreck site, in the fear that THAT will be the one time a deep sea dive will end in disaster.
My mom does not want to say "My son honored the people who died on the Titanic by joining their ranks".

Actually, security around the QM2 will, likely, be quite tight.

I remember when, in October 2001, I visited two friends who live in San Diego.
The three of us walked along the Piers, at Harbor Drive. During this time, two people were kayaking, and were told, IMMEDIATELY, by the Coast Guard and SDPD, to get as far away from the cruise ships, as possible.

I'm looking forward to an uneventful, pleasant voyage, in April. There are better ways to spend an April night than finding oneself treading water in the North Atlantic, thank you.

Yes, Phil, "I will now step down from my soap box".

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>Worse how? The ship was torpedoed and people died in mass quantities. If somebody took out the QM2, then there's a good possibility that even more people would die in mass quantities.<<

If the QM2 was hit by missiles or mine planted aboard, it would less likely to sink, or even if it did sink, be slower than being torpedoed, not to count the explosion. The QM2 is unlikely to explode as it is not powered by coal, steam, neither is it carrying munitions aboard.

Furthermore, the Al-Qaeda is unlikely to use torpedoes to sink a ship. They prefer something above the sea level.

(This is the 1000th post on the Cunard thread!)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sorry Jeremy, I still don't see the comparision, especially since you seemed to link the magnitude of the event with the level of press attention recieved.

And can we please get a sense of reality into this? Al-Qeada is not likely to use missiles or torpedos because anything large enough and powerful enough to do the job is something that could not be easily manhandled or targeted, much less fired without some big, bulky, and expensive equipment to do the job...like a warship. Somehow, I've got the feeling that any such that they could steal wouldn't be in operational condition.

Mines could be used, but what kind? There are press reports I've seen of mines missing from North Korean stocks that can selectively target a specific range or ships, but these tend to be pretty big beasts as well. Limpet mines attatched to the keel are a bit more realistic. I would also point out that passenger vessels never "explode" simply because they're powered by coal, oil, steam, or a million gerbils on a treadmill. A case could be made for munitions, but the only precedent for that which I'm aware of is the Lusitania, and whether or not there was any such aboard that could have exploded is sufficiently questionable that the matter is hotly debated.

As to what Al-qeada prefers, like any terrorist group, they rely on stealth and surprise to carry out their attacks, and tend to improvise with what's easily at hand to sucker punch the mark with the unexpected. Who expected anyone to use hyjacked aircraft as air-to-surface missiles?

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>My gut feeling is that there is a Presidential election coming up next year.<<

grin.gif
mad.gif
wink.gif

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Tarn wrote "I suspect,in some perverse way,many Titanic buffs who will sail the QM2 would want her to go down,so like the Titanic passengers of nearly a century ago,they too would find their names etched in history". Speaking for myself and I don't consider myself as just a Titanic buff,I am a ocean liner-cruise ship buff.Anyway any Titanic buff and ocean liner-cruise ship buff who goes on the QM2 hoping that she goes down,so like the Titanic passengers of nearly a century ago,they too would find their names etched in history,Are in dire need of psychiatric help.I do hope and even pray to the Good Lord that the QM2 does have a successfull and normal service life of about 40 years. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
"Touch wood!" Who would have a foul mouth to suggest that that the QM2 will go down in a terrorist attack etc. so that she would be the Titanic of the 21st Century at the expense of others!!!

That Titanic buff must be an Al-Qaeda member!
mad.gif

Feb 14, 2011
There have always been terrorist threats, and my humble opinion is that certain western politicians, who shall go unnamed, are now deliberatly fanning the flames of fear and paranoia so as to strengthen their own political powers...

I have a hunch QM2 will be around in 2012, and she may very well stop near the site where Titanic sank so as to pay homage...

Perhaps my perceptions of humanity are skewed, as I am studying shipwreck archaeology, you would be surprised the number of shipwreck buff peers I know who secretly hope to survive a shipwreck in thier lifetime.

Its the old question, if you could travel back in time and sail the Titanic, would you?
I would, though I would know to linger near Officer Murdoh as he was filling the boats so i could make my escape..

What better way to understand the subject of ones study than to be a part of it..

Its the same mentality of tornado hunters, who try to get as close to a deadly tornado as they can so as to study it...

A chum who studies volcanoes has voiced envy at those who were present when Mt St Helens exploded in 1980.

I dont share such a dream, so i always wondered if that made me the odd man out....

Anyway, as a person who has been revived from near drowning 3 times thanks to CPR trained individuals, I can assure you all drowning in the sea is not a glorious thing...

The closest I have come to a shipwreck was having sailed on the Premeier liner Seabreeze 1 (a circa 1953 Italian liner), and she later sank in a storm the following year.....Its very eerie knowing my stateroom is now 5000 feet down.....

It was odd, as I stood on her bow I tried to imageine the Seabreeze in 10 years, and all i could sense was her being on the sea floor...

I wish my intuition was as accurtate when I play the lottery....

Very odd....

Tarn Stephanos

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Tarn wrote: "my humble opinion is that certain western politicians, who shall go unnamed, are now deliberatly fanning the flames of fear and paranoia so as to strengthen their own political powers...."

Tarn, leave your political "beliefs" off the board. They do *not* belong here. There are many of us here who feel quite the opposite of you. Enough said although I could say lots more....

Eric Sauder

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Eric
As this thread deals with Al Qaeda, it seems a political thread by its very nature, and its unavoidable that politics will be brought into the conversation.

I stand by my comments, but will respect your opinion, and will not post on this theme again...

I wish you and everyone here a very happy and safe new year...

Peace

tarn Stephanos