Is anyone connected to any of Titanic's passengers or crew

Mar 3, 2001
I've many times found myself thinking I wish I could have been there and seen it. Then I stop and realize what I'm thinking. That's crazy! I think it's just the fascination and desire to be a part of history
happy.gif

Jun 18, 2007
Not related to anyone, but I'm from Baltimore, where Lucile Carter (maiden name: Polk) was from. And if memory serves correctly, Walter Lord spent some time in Roland Park during his younger years. And I'm really doubting that I'm remembering this correctly, but wasn't Philip Franklin from B'more, too?

And of course, Captain Smith once spoke to a friend of his on St. Paul Street after the disaster... ;)

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I'm not related to anyone, although my relatives claim that "Maggie Hunt" was on Titanic - and my great-grandfather's name was George Henry Hunt and he died from drowning - but in the Big Sandy River in Kentucky, so he's not the George Henry Hunt that perished on Titanic. Interesting coincidence, though. My aunt had a store in Versailles, KY which is listed as the home of Lutie Parrish at the time she was on Titanic, but apparently the family wasn't there long enough to establish traceable roots. That's about all the claim to Titanic I can brag about, and it's really not worth bragging about.

Kyrila

Robert Mills

Jan 2, 2007
Hi

Apparently my Grandmother's great Aunt was on the titanic. Her forename was Sarah but I have no other details - the photo of her suggests she would have been 1st or 2nd class.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Hello Robert - Your username suggests that any ancestors of your would have been Welsh, or at least British. So your great-great aunt probably wasn't either of the two American Sarahs in first class - Sarah "Sallie" Monypenny Beckwith and Sara Rebecca Compton. The other Sarah in first class that comes to mind was Sarah Daniels, maid to Mrs. Allison. I believe she was British, but I'm not sure. I know that she journeyed to Canada with the Allison relatives after the sinking; not sure where she ended up.

Will keep thinking about any Sarah's in second class.

I would caution against assuming she wasn't third class from her photo - plenty of third class passengers were very well-groomed people, judging from their photos. And we've all known many a girl who manages to look quite fashionable despite limited resources.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Like Mrs Beckwith, the maid Sarah Daniels (from London) would be remembered by her family as 'Sallie' rather than Sarah. The other candidates are 2nd Class passenger Sarah Chapman from Cornwall (who did not survive) and, in 3rd Class, Sarah Roth from London.

I'll second Brian's comment about judging social class from photos - exercise caution unless the setting and context leave no doubt. Sarah Roth was a tailoress, and therefore especially likely to be well dressed.

May 27, 2007
I live in Missouri where Molly Brown was raised. Stephanie at least you lived in the same town that Ida Strauss lived in. So you see my connection is even more tenuous then yours.

Oct 10, 2007
Im hoping!! I have been working on my family history since like 7th grade and am only on my 5great grandparents!
I used to live in Missouri while I was in training at Ft Leonard Wood...I wish I could have traveled some. That state is so beautiful

Tim Self

Jun 30, 2010
EDWARD SELF..my name is Tim Self and i am a New Zealander my father was Edward Self, my lost Grandfather was too. They were all from Southampton am trying to figure if the Edward Self who survived the disaster is my Grandfather?

C

Chanelle

Hello, Smith is one of my family names, and I found several passengers with that name, yet how can I be sure that any one of them is a relative with Smith being so common? Any suggestions?
Any help would be great!