Is my great-grandma's name is on the Titanic passenger list

M

melanie upshall

My great grandma was supposed to be on the Titanic and a day before it was to set sail, there was a sickness in the family and they were not able to make it on the ship. I don't know if her family sold there tickets, and if so, who purchased them. My greatgrandma's father's name was Robert Wessner, I believe that Paulette was his wife's name and my greatgrandma's name was Lydia Wessner. I would love to find out what had happened with the tickets as my greatgrandma has passed away. If any one has any information or resources available, my family and I would love to hear it!
With great respects,
Melanie and family!!

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Melanie,

I am sorry to inform you that there appears to be no Lydia Wessner on the passenger list. Any notion as to which class she intended to travel in? Was she booked to travel all the way to New York, or was she a cross channel passenger?

As it has been pointed out many times before, had every reported Titanic passenger actually been on the ship, it would have sank before it left Southampton!
proud.gif

I was once in the same situation, in which, according to an old family legend, my great-uncle and great-aunt were survivors of the tragedy. He had even went to the lengths of concocting an "account"! But I'm not saying your relatives weren't on the ship, I'm just relating my experience, which turned out to be no more than an old story, as neither name appears on the passenger list. And, with only 15 men from second class saved, it didn't take me long to figure out it was a hoax.
sad.gif

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Apr 22, 2012
Sorry I didn't quite read Melanie's post closely enough. It says they intended to sail, but didn't make it. My bad. Still, if you know whether or not they intended to be cross channel passengers or "full trip", it might help. There is still mystery surrounding the cross channelers.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Melanie:
Was you great-grandma still named Wessner when she came to America? Do you know where they were living before coming to America? Do you have their birthdates?

I couldn't find a Robert or Paulette or Lydia on the Ellis Island website. But, there was a 23 year old man from Switzerland by the name of Alois Wessner who was on the ship "Bremen" which arrived in New York on April 23, 1912. The Bremen was the ship that spotted many bodies floating from the Titanic disaster before the "Mackay-Bennett" arrived to start retrieving them.

M

melanie upshall

My great-grandma's name was still Wessner when she was to come across on the Titanic. She was 12 at the time and I was mistaken of her mothers name, it was Pauline. They were from Germany. I was speaking with my grandma and family during Christmas and they have a write-up about it in our family history book. She and her parents would have travelled in 3rd class. I believe that they no longer have the tickets because my grandma does not recall ever seeing them. Perhaps they just threw them away, but does any one know if the passengers had to sign in or if they just went by the names on all of the tickets that were purchased? And from the way that my grandma talks, this doesn't seem to be a tale of any sort.