Is the "Jessie's vision" story true or false?

Logan Horning

Dec 4, 2018
(I posted this in "General" because I couldn't find any other discussion page that would fit this)
So I was reading the Titanic book in the Eyewitness Books series, and on page 23, there's a short story that says that on the night of April 14, 1912, just before the Titanic crashed into the iceberg, a dying Scottish female named Jessie told her loved ones that she had a vision of a passenger liner named "Titanic" sinking in the North Atlantic and the band playing a hymn as it sank. The same story says that once she was dead, the ship struck the iceberg and started to sink.
Is there any evidence of this story being true or is this just a myth about the Titanic? Personally, I think it was made up, because I couldn't find any information of this story being true.

[Moderator's note: This thread was moved from GT to this topic discussing, among other things, premonitions. MAB]

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2005
Of course Morgan Robertson's book "Futility"' ( ca .1898 ) is an uncanny work of fiction about a ship named "Titan" , which struck an iceberg and sank, with great loss of life. The description of the size of and details of the "Titan" are almost identical with those of the Titanic.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The size and tonnage of Titan were tweaked after the disaster to make them rather bigger than those of Titanic. There's a good deal in the book that is nothing like the Titanic story.

Nov 14, 2005
Of course Morgan Robertson's book "Futility"' ( ca .1898 ) is an uncanny work of fiction about a ship named "Titan" , which struck an iceberg and sank, with great loss of life. The description of the size of and details of the "Titan" are almost identical with those of the Titanic.
If you've got 20 mins or so to kill you might find this interesting.