Is there a ship similar to Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2005
The Titanic and Olympic had a third sister ship Britannic that was a hospital ship during the First World War and sank off the Greek island of Kea in November, 1916. Robert H. Gibbons

[Moderator's notes: 1. This thread was in another subtopic, but has been moved here. 2. The title has been revised to better reflect what is being discussed. JDT]

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Add Aquitania, Imperator, Vaterland and Bismarck. The three German ships were somewhat bigger than Titanic, both in length and tonnage. Aquitania was longer than Titanic and wider, but she was of much the same tonnage. All four were a tad faster than Titanic.

Martin Pirrie

Jun 28, 2000
All the lights would have gone out when the seawater reached the generators. The deck lights were housed in watertight fittings and would have continued to operate below water. I believe that some people reported seeing lights shining through the water, I presume that it was the deck lights that they saw.Cabin and similar lighting would have gone out as the fuses blew when water entered these open type fittings.

Sep 26, 1999
Liam, if you want to see any ship that is similar at all to any of the old ocean liners you can see the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California or the United States ocean liner in Philadelphia.

M

Matt Pereira

I know ive heard Bismarck name thrown around alot as being built around the early 1900`s and im curious was this really a passengership cause i know of the bismark battleship of the 40`s.

Also Martin i heard somewheres on this site about how direct current wouldnt have caused electrocutions especially in saltwater not sure if you would know if this is true or not.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Bismarck was indeed a passenger liner. She never sailed under the German flag, as she was taken by Britain as war reparations and comleted after WW I. She became Majestic of the White Star Line. There's plenty about her on the internet.

M

Matt Pereira

ok thats why i havent heard of it cause im not that big of a person on the WW I passengerships. only one would be the Britannic but i think the olympic class liners have the best external appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.