Is this a real photo of the Wilhelm Gustloff sinking?

John O'Malley

Oct 6, 2010
I found this photo while doing a random web search for ships sunk in WWII. It purports to be a photo of the Gustloff sinking and looks real. Does anyone know if it is? It would have to have been taken either by someone in the lifeboats or on the surfaced Soviet submarine.

I'm not sure how to post the picture directly, but here's the weblink. The photo is near the bottom of the page, next to two other shipwreck photos.

WWII Soviet submarines list at Baltic sea

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I found this photo while doing a random web search for ships sunk in WWII. It purports to be a photo of the Gustloff sinking and looks real. Does anyone know if it is? It would have to have been taken either by someone in the lifeboats or on the surfaced Soviet submarine.

I'm not sure how to post the picture directly, but here's the weblink. The photo is near the bottom of the page, next to two other shipwreck photos.

WWII Soviet submarines list at Baltic sea
It looks interesting. The image is not from an original photo but from a printed publication. text on other side can be made out in light areas of image. Real? maybe, but an original image scan might reveal more to help answer the question. Bearing in mind tthe attack was in bad weather and at night would make photography difficult to say the least.