Is this a Titanic Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Hello all,
10 years ago I purchased an old ships bed. I didn’t think much of the incident and my son used to sleep in it when he stayed.

I recently had a closer look at it (underneath) and among other marks on it is says
“ S S Olympic”

Could this be the sister ship to the Titanic, and as they were fitted so close together , would this then be the same bed that people slept in as on the Titanic,

How could I find out more?

Thanks.

[Moderator's note: This post was originally posted in another topic, but has been moved to the one discussing the same issues. JDT]

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the response . The picture looks nothing like my bed. The problem with a photo is that since my house move my friend stored it in his garage. I will ring him and arrange a few pictures.

Thinking on, I may have a pic or two from my previous house of my son clowning around on it. I’ll have a look and see what I can find.

The bed had four definite posts in each corner, and a circular back with galleried top. Made out of mahogany with a metal base. It seems very much more ornate ( for the want of a better word ) than the one in the picture.

Will get back very soon

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Hello,

the only photo I could find is not very good to say the least. ( I am not even sure its worth posting.) It was pre digital days,

It does show the post of the footboard and top left is the other post with a bit of the headboard.

Will take a much clearer one to post.

But any comments welcome.

Thanks.
120498.jpg

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
So that's the right type of bed, then, Derek? We could use a bit more information. Does yours look exactly like that, or just the same basic design? Is it a single or a double? Does it have the same arrangement of side rails - in your photo the rail seems to be missing from the post in the foreground, or is it just not showing up in the picture for some reason?

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Hello there,
I think it’s the same bed. There are no rails, but I recall taking some brass bits off, (because they had sharp edges) I think these were the fittings the rails slid on. Its a single bed, identical to the one in the picture.

I paid 10 pounds for it at an open air market.
Can you confirm were the above picture was taken.

thanks

Derek.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There are others here who can advise you better than I could, but I believe there were a lot of these beds on board in single and multiple-berth cabins certainly on B and C decks. These were relatively cheap cabins of standard design, so photos from the time generally don't specify a particular cabin number as they all look much the same. I'd have a look underneath your bed and see if the cabin number is included in those markings.

You did all right for a tenner! Where was the market? The Olympic was broken up at Jarrow on the Tyne, and most of the fittings sold didn't stray far from that region.

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Hi Bob, It turned up in the North West, Merseyside. Is your picture from the Titanic or the Olympic ( thats the bit I was'nt sure of sorry ) It did have some numbers and names on the bottom but I will re check that to confirm. I have found another picture, again I have had to photograph it to get it digital.

120504.jpg

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Nearly all the available interior photos are of the Olympic, Derek, and there are several in print which show this type of bed. But you can be reasonably sure that there were plenty of these beds on the Titanic, too.

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Bob, ( and others ) what can I say I am amazed. When I get further details over the next few days I will post them on the site.

Thank you for your assistance and best wishes.

Derek.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
You're very welcome, Derek. Nice to see your pics, and I look forward to seeing more. If you do find the cabin number, we'll be able to tell you exactly where it was located.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

Is it identical - or is it me? Where did all that under-bed storage space go? Even at first glance this bed looks substantially "cut down" compared to the one in the archival photo. Other than refinishing (has this been done?), these alterations (missing railing, missing hardware and the quite substantial cut down) are pretty much bad news regarding furniture unless of truly extreme rarity. What is the impact of condition problems like these on the desirability of a piece like this?

Best,
Eric Longo

Derek Hibbet

Jul 3, 2007
Hello there,

I think you are right, during the interval years time has not been too kind . The legs look like they have been cut down and the rails removed, probably in an attempt to make it look like a standard bedroom piece of furniture for a land lubber

It’s had a long and adventurous life and I am just glad its been saved from the bonfire.

On the up side its got several marks / pencil / paint / stamps on the underside which should provide some interest and determine its origins.

I will try to load photos on tomorrow of them all to see if they can be interpreted.

Derek.

Apr 30, 2007
On the plan of the liner handed to 'Father' Frank Brown as he boarded the Titanic there are pictures of three state rooms (B21, C9 and C117) showing this type of bed. Although the pictures are of rooms on the Olympic it's unclear whether the captions are actually referring to the stateroom numbers on the Olympic or cross referencing with the actual room numbers on the Titanic. Either way if any of the above numbers are stamped on the bed you're in luck.

What we can say for certain is that this type of bed was in A37 on the Titanic as Father Brown took at least two pictures of his room which includes the bed in which he slept. So if the Olympic's 'A37' is stamped on the bottom it could be a remarkable bonus.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's interesting that in the photos of Browne's cabin the legs on both the bed and the dressing stand appear to be quite a lot shorter than those of the same items in the B and C deck cabins. So maybe Derek's bed has not been attacked with a saw!

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mr. Godfrey,

I noticed that too looking at Browne's photographs for comparisons along with those on B and C deck, but I think the current bed still appears somewhat short. Mr. Hibbet states the legs appear cut - hopefully we will know shortly! And hopefully they are not!

Best,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.