Is this deterioration illustration accurate?

Nov 14, 2005
From what I've read by people who study metallurgy and ship wrecks and stuff I think that 2112 graphic is a bit optimistic.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
I've read from different sources that they think by the mid 2030's the wreck will collapse in on itself and not long after that it will pretty much be a large pile rust. It seems to be accelerating and pictures from earlier to later expeditions seem to bare that out.

Reactions: 1 users

mitfrc

Jan 3, 2017
New England
It's always really amazing to think about how different conditions can be in the ocean. HMS Victoria looks like she could be patched and salved after almost 130 years on the "bottom", granted, almost none of her is actually on the bottom (the world's only vertical shipwreck, darn near). Titanic seems to actually be very unlucky as shipwrecks go.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
I had to go and look her up as I was not familar with her. Very interesting. Thanks. Yeah it amazing the different conditions of wrecks. Some of the recent Black Sea discoveries of 2500 year old ships is pretty facinating how well preserved they are.

S

SmileyGirl

I've read from different sources that they think by the mid 2030's the wreck will collapse in on itself and not long after that it will pretty much be a large pile rust. It seems to be accelerating and pictures from earlier to later expeditions seem to bare that out.
That’s sad :(

mitfrc

Jan 3, 2017
New England
I had to go and look her up as I was not familar with her. Very interesting. Thanks. Yeah it amazing the different conditions of wrecks. Some of the recent Black Sea discoveries of 2500 year old ships is pretty facinating how well preserved they are.
I think that the conditions in the water and the pressure at that depth are uniquely favorable for steel-eating bacteria. The saltier Mediterranean in relatively shallow water would lack it where Victoria is wrecked, the bottom of the Black Sea completely lacks oxygen so rust forming processes don't really occur, and then in very cold water like the Baltic there's a very low metabolic process energy, so wrecks like the 1890s Russian Gangut see little deteoriation. Titanic is basically in the perfect place for steel eating extremophiles.

Dec 23, 2017
This was in National Geographic magazine in 2012.
View attachment 43867
Good thing we found the wreck when it was still in somewhat good recognizable condition!:D
Bill Sauder and Ken M. have said they 100% do not agree with that drawing nor the terrible doc "Drain The Titanic".

Bill has said no one knows how long the wreck will retain shape, a wreck has never been found at this depth that has been regularly checked so its a first time to see what happens.

Ken when i was talking to him said the bow will remain very recognizable for the next 100-150 years, and the reciprocating Engines will likewise remain very recognizable for the next century or two.

We also have to remember that all the distortion we have seen in the last 35+ years has been confined to the 1/4 inch thick steel, Stuff from B Deck down is much thicker and has not seen any deterioration as of ect.

The short of it is that no one knows and its going to be a wait and see situation .

Nov 14, 2005
From what I've read the situation on Titanic is that the more the bacteria consume the more they expose to be consumed which accelerates the process. Its like a positive feedback loop on an amplifier. Output drives the input in a positive direction which drives the output higher which then drives input untill you have infinant gain which is limited by the power supply. I don't know if that makes sense but it does seem logical to me. But having said that, you are right. Only time will tell how she ends up. Lots of variables that could change over time.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
Funny how before the wreck was found in 85 people believed that she was perfectly preserved as on the night she sank like the HMS Victoria; but no one knew that there were metal-eating bacteria living on the Titanic. Clive Cussler and Arthur C. Clarke were both wrong about her, plus the fact that she split in two while sinking.