Is This The Olympic At Belfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Steve, I don't know where it was taken but I know that it is not the Olympic, but it is rather the Titanic. Look at the A- deck promenade. Olympic had an all the way open promenade, while the Titanic here had the partially enclosed one(as you will see).
Adam

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
That looks like it is a drawing of the Titanic as the B-deck window arrangment is all wrong. It might be even a photograph of the Olympic and a artist drew in the enclosed promenade deck to look more like Titanic. Titanic had her B-deck arangement changed before she received her enclosed screens on A-deck, so that can't be a photgraph of the Titanic. More likely the Olympic and somebody changed it by adding the screens, to look like Titanic.

Any thoughts.....

Regards,

Nigel

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
I think Steve posted this at the TRMA board. At any rate, yes, it is a doctored image. Not only are the B-deck windows wrong for Titanic, but the skylight openings for the GSC cover are incorrect.

Adam

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
Yes Adam I did post it on the TRMA. Though nobody really commented on it.
I agree, the photograph is neither one nor the other. If it is a fake, than someone has gone to a lot of trouble.
I have seen the full photograph of this and the ship is only small in the total frame. This is a high scan of only the portion showing the actual ship.

Dec 7, 2000
I would completely agree that this is the Olympic, and the screen as been doctored onto the image to make it look like Titanic at first glance, and to confuse the viewer at second. Greg has done some excellent work turning the Titanic to look like Britannic, so it is not unlikely that whoever doctored that image did the same thing.

Daniel.

Apr 23, 2002
I think you are correct Daniel - It wasnt me!
The work on A deck is incredibly detailed.

Perhaps it is a photograph of an incorrect model put infront of a background and converted to Black and White??

Dec 7, 2000
Greg,

I wasn't suggesting it was you!
happy.gif
I was trying to point out that you did a good job with Titanic/Britannic, and that anything is possible with computers. Steve has had the photo for 5 years (I think that would make it at least since 1996/97) and even then, doctoring of photos to such a convincing degree on computers was possible. It looks a little too good to be a model. If it is, then someone REALLY went into TOO much trouble. I'll keep my money on the computer suggestion.

The A deck screen does seem detailed, but it was probably pinched from a Titanic photo from a similar/same angle. The GSC cover could have been stuffed up on purpose as well.

Daniel.

Apr 23, 2002
I know you Daniel
happy.gif

But you right someone has gone to a lot of trouble to get it so detailed - so I wonder why they didnt get B deck correct too?

Jan 5, 2001
Now, why have so many varied ship photos turned up since we got computers?
wink.gif

Seriously, some of these are very hard to tell.

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 7, 2000
I agree. Also, in those days touch ups to photos were VERY common. As it looks like these photos are from newspapers, it may be that they have been touched up for whatever reason, and the Olympic in the 2nd photo may thus look like it too had her B deck windows extended further aft.

The 1st photo, is that Titanic or Olympic? It looks like Titanic before her A deck screen was added.

Daniel.

J

John Kerrington

Another link that does not work. How long do photo's stay on Titanica ? A lot of the pictures posted from about 2002 are no more. Do they stay for a certain period and then get removed to give more space ? Or do they stay forever ?
Many thanks

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Images which are posted directly here within the forum will generally remain indefinitely. The discussion above, however, wasn't about photos which are 'on Titanica'. The images referred to could be found only by following external links to pages on another web site. Nobody here at ET has any control over the changing content of other sites, so links of that kind can and often do 'go down' very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.