Is Your Titanic Fascination Mercurial

Dec 14, 2007
While I'm always "interested" in the "Titanic Thing," I'm only really "obsessed" about one month out of the year. It's usually in April, around the anniversary of the sinking, where I start to regain my fascination. I'll add a couple new books to my collection, spend hours reading through websites, go out of my way to watch documentaries, pour over blueprints and diagrams...and after a month of this, I go "silent" for the next 11 months. This year has been a bit of an exception, since I've been anticipated the release of "The Ship Magnificent" since at least January.

I suppose my early Titanicmania may have gotten to me a little - back when I was seven or eight years old I used to be "full out" all the time and it drove my parents nuts! Does anyone else find themselves taking long "breaks" from their fascination?

D

Dana Cantu

Yes, I have. I've only come back to Titanic just a month ago...although mine doesn't just come around on the anniversary, it tends to pop up ever so often , no your not alone and it doesn't mean we're not as nutty for Titanic as others "year rounders"
happy.gif

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Definitely. Anything I get interested in is mercurial. However, this mercurial interest has lasted longer than most. I think that what I'm interested in usually lasts about a month or two, tops. However, this time, it's going on three. If you include the healthy diet of information I have been getting from this website and the library of Titanic books I have purchased, this interest may well last me years. I hope it will sustain me until I'm as old as Bob, though I don't think that's possible.
happy.gif

D

Dana Cantu

Lucky..
happy.gif
I wish I was a "year rounder" but there are many other things I get interested into after a while and Titanic takes a back set for the moment, but it always comes back. For a while I was doing EXTENSIVE research in the Columbine Massacre which is what put Titanic away but it's back! Yay!
happy.gif

Dec 14, 2007
Perhaps the aspect about my Titanic mercurialism I regret the most is the number of books I've lost to it. "Anatomy of the Titanic," a first edition in perfect condition of Ballard's "Discovery Of," "End of a Dream," a couple of decent children's books... all gone because I "wasn't that interested" anymore! I'm going to hold on to my books for dear life from now on, personal whims notwithstanding.

D

Dana Cantu

LOL Ben...

Wow Daryl..you even got rid of some of your Titanic books? Well, I've done that too, just childrens' books I had when I was younger...I had the "I was there" told through the eyes of Jack Thayer and Harold Bride..I had one of the "Dear America" book with "The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady" I got rid of that as well, but just to make room for older, more mature Titanic books..

Sep 25, 2004
I took a long break from the Titanic after the 97' film was released. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed certain aspects of it (The movie), but everytime I tried talking about the ship and her history to my friends (and some family members), they kept making references to the film. The commercialization got to me also, so I put Titanic on the back burner so to speak and shifted my focus to other ocean liners, or my other passion; World War II.

Now, with the the centennial only a few years away, my interest in Titanic is slowly beginning to come back.