Isidor Straus

C

Cornelius Thiessen

I know theres a few geneologists on board here and I was curious about Isidore Strauss and his background.Could it possibly be he is a relation to Levi Strauss of Levis clothing fame? I know that Levi came to California from Holland in the '49' gold rush and the rest is history for Levi. But could there be a connection? Thanks to all those that respond.

C

Cornelius Thiessen

Whoops, I have no idea what I was smoking here but I just realized that Isidore spelled Straus with only one s, not two like Levi Strauss did.There goes my theory
happy.gif
Sorry folks........

May 8, 2001
Hi Cornelius. In doing a quick internet search, one site states that Levi came from New York to California. Both were in similar businesses. Isadore occasionally came to California, but his family lineage spelled their name with one "S" whereas Levi's is with 2. Not to be deterred, because when families immigrated here (or got into family tiffs and change the spelling of their last names) connections are lost. I haven't heard a firm YES in regard to them being related but will let you know if I ever make that California Connection.

C

Cornelius Thiessen

Hi Colleen, that 's' thing might be like my last name.My grandfather and all known generations before him spelled my name as Thiesen, for some reason my father and his brothers added an extra s and we all became Thiessen.In Isidore's case it just might be a s subtraction instead of an addition
happy.gif
TY for the response

Lorna Spargo

Aug 20, 2007
I know that Isador Straus was born in Germany and moved to the US when he was about 9. Did he still have an accent when he died?

What was Ida's background? Did she have an accent or was she American?