Ismay and the speed of the Titanic

A

Alyson Jones

I heard that Titanic sea trials were rushed and short due to the answer that Jason supplied.
Micheal Sir.
I also heard that one point during the Titanic sea trails, that they lowerd one life boat and circled the ship and return and winch the life boat up.It stated that alot more should have been done with these kind of prosedure during the sea trails.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It stated that alot more should have been done with these kind of prosedure during the sea trails.<<

Why? Lifeboats aren't typically lowered at sea unless there's an overwhelmingly good reason to do so. It's a lot safer to do a full all up test of the equipment in port. If it works there, there's no reason to suppose it won't do so at sea.

A

Alyson Jones

>>Perhaps you have greater knowledge of the subject. If so, please share us your data, your training, and your experience. <<

David Sir. That's funnie.Far out me have data no way! I just like to talk about Titanic with the experts and say my own opinion sir.

Michael. I was just repeating what i heard.Yes,being in port sounds much more efficent. The boat lowering was part of the sea trails,i was just coping there answer sir.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Alyson, remember that Titanic was inspected more than 2,000 times while she was building. All kinds of checks were made, especially of potentially dangerous things, like the boilers. The sea trials just confirmed that everything worked as planned. Remember too that Titanic was a relatively simple ship. Today there would be all sorts of complex electronic systems to test and trials would take much longer.

I'd be interested to hear Captain Currie's views on Titanics' handling, as compared to modern ships of similar size. My impression is that she'd compare rather well, given a comparison ship without pods, bow thrusters, etc.

A

Alyson Jones

>>I'd be interested to hear Captain Currie's views on Titanics' handling, as compared to modern ships of similar size. My impression is that she'd compare rather well, given a comparison ship without pods, bow thrusters, etc.<<

Me too,that would be great to find out what Captain Currie's views are on modern ships pods and thrusters and Titanic comparison!I love to talk about the comparison of Titanic and moderns ships and there size,with both of you and specialy with a real captain.I would be so thrilled,this is my favourite subject.

The problem is that some one has to PM Captain Currie to get him on here, cause he does not post much.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was just repeating what i heard.<<

It's wise to be careful with "I Heard" since "I Heard" has a nasty habit of getting the facts wrong. This applies in spades to a lot of popular histories which tend to uncritically repeat the same old mistakes or the latest fads.