Ismay Family

C

Carl Holding

Hi guys... I have a lot of research about the Ismay family as I come from the same town (Maryport, England) as Henry Ismay - as he preferred to be known as and he is quite the local hero - along with Fletcher Christian (of mutany on the Bounty fame) who is also from the town. What I was wondering is if I was to compile the story of Henry Ismay and his family into a book (has this been done?) then would it be worth my time and effort doing it? i.e. would people be interested?

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Carl,
a biography of both Thomas Henry and his son J. Bruce was published way back in 1961. it was written by Wilton J. Oldham and was called The Ismay Line. The White Star Line, and the Ismay Family Story.

that being said, there is still plenty of interest in the Ismays, and if you were to get a book written about the family, I think there would a potential market.

hope that helps!
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Carl and Michael,

To be more exact, Oldham's book is more about the White Star Line, if I am not mistaken, although it was written in a very personal tone.

There IS a biography of J. Bruce Ismay, a manuscript by Oldham that was published in the Titanic Commutator back in 1987-88, I think.

Kalman

C

Carl Holding

Thanks that is helpful, I have heard of it before and I think it's in our local library so I'll check it out when I go back home. The angle that I was looking at is more the personal details of the family that have not (to my knowledge) been published before, along with rare photos etc and the story of how he basically started with nothing and ended up with the biggest liner company in Britain

Cheers, Carl

J

Janicole

Does anyone know of any biographies or documentaries on him? I have books on Titanic and White Star that talk a little about him but I was wondering if there was anything in depth out there