Ismay's homes

Sep 23, 2018
Derby, UK
Hi

I am just curious about something related to Bruce Ismay. He grew up living in a large house on Beach Lawn, Waterloo, Liverpool, very close to a large old villa and estate called Sandheys. Then in 1893, he sees and likes a large property set in a number of acres, in Mossley Hill, Liverpool, overlooking the Mersey, buys it and lived there till 1920.

I am just wondering whether it is coincidence that both houses had the same name, or whether in fact he renamed the large villa he bought, in memory of the house he had grown up so close to, and which had been demolished in 1889.

The OS maps do not help - the 1907 map showing Mossley Hill does show a number of grand mansions with that much land, mostly named, but none are called Sandheys. There is one, un-named, that could be his.

Thanks and best wishes

Tony

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks Mike! Where is that place? Is it a hotel or conference centre of something now?
Hi Tony,
The Mansion is in a small village Iwerne Minster Dorset England. Not far from Southampton. James Ismay brought of George Glyn 2nd Baron Wolverton in 1908 with 400 acres at the age of 41. He proved to be a very successful farmer! The local historian claim he was booked on Titanic and supplying food for WSL. Bacon was one of the items, but was too ill to sail on the ship. (Excuse the pun it was to save his bacon!)
After his death 24th 1930 at 63 age the mansion was sold to a private school Clayesmore. I have visited the place more than once. There were other properties in the village under is name and was buried in the local church to.
Mike.

Attachments

Nov 14, 2005
Just add to the Ismay family house in Liverpool. Here are some photos of his brother James Ismay house in Dorset with 400 hundred area. Still stand to day too. Who got the better deal?
Mike.
I most say those are some pretty cool looking houses/estates. Where I live we have nothing like the architecture they have in Europe/England. Looks like those places would cost a fortune to keep warm.

A

Aaron_2016

Just add to the Ismay family house in Liverpool. Here are some photos of his brother James Ismay house in Dorset with 400 hundred area. Still stand to day too. Who got the better deal?
Mike.
Here is a view of his house in 1936.

Iwerne2.png

Iwerne.png

Iwerne3.png

Reactions: 1 user

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
1936 after James death. As to today there seem to be less trees. The end lower wing was added by James as a billiard room.
Just a few more photos of James Ismay property. This must be the most of what is left of the Ismay family property still standing today!
One of the cottages is claiming they have spare cabin doors from Olympic/Titanic inside! I have seen them but look rather large for a ship?
Mike.

Attachments

Nov 14, 2005
1936 after James death. As to today there seem to be less trees. The end lower wing was added by James as a billiard room.
Just a few more photos of James Ismay property. This must be the most of what is left of the Ismay family property still standing today!
One of the cottages is claiming they have spare cabin doors from Olympic/Titanic inside! I have seen them but look rather large for a ship?
Mike.
Nice pics. It seems they have maintained the property very well. Off topic: the less trees quote...I read that when the Romans first invaded Britain that the island was practically covered in trees. Over the centuries they decimated the forests to where only a little is left today.

Les

Jun 14, 2019
Liverpool
Hi

I am just curious about something related to Bruce Ismay. He grew up living in a large house on Beach Lawn, Waterloo, Liverpool, very close to a large old villa and estate called Sandheys. Then in 1893, he sees and likes a large property set in a number of acres, in Mossley Hill, Liverpool, overlooking the Mersey, buys it and lived there till 1920.

I am just wondering whether it is coincidence that both houses had the same name, or whether in fact he renamed the large villa he bought, in memory of the house he had grown up so close to, and which had been demolished in 1889.

The OS maps do not help - the 1907 map showing Mossley Hill does show a number of grand mansions with that much land, mostly named, but none are called Sandheys. There is one, un-named, that could be his.

Thanks and best wishes

Tony
Hi! Tony,
I can't answer your question regarding the house name in Crosby and the House in Mossley Hill, but I can confirm that there is a an Ordnance Survey map of 1909 showing the estate called 'Sandheys' on Mossley Hill Road, (I have a large copy of it hanging on my wall at home). After Sandheys was demolished,another was built on the site and I have lived in that house for the past 35 years.
Kind regards
Les Chadwick.
P.S.
If I can find it, I have a digital copy of the Ornance survey map on my computer which I would be happy to send to you by Email if you wish. My email is admin@panoramic.plus.com

Sep 23, 2018
Derby, UK
Thanks so much Les. Actually, since posting my query, I did find evidence that the house was named Sandheys before Ismay bought it. It was apparently sold to him after the death of one of the previous occupants, a fruit merchant and his wife. So it does remain a coincidence that the house had the same name as the big mansion within yards of his childhood home in Waterloo. Probably an example of nominative determinism, like when people called Green choose a house in Green Road, feeling that it is somehow 'meant'.

Les

Jun 14, 2019
Liverpool
Hi Tony, Thanks for the update on the house, I tried to research the subject some time ago but didn't get very far so your info adds a little more to the archive.
Many thanks
Les

Sep 23, 2018
Derby, UK
Thanks again Les. I will attach the published item which indicates the previous owners of Sandheys with its name, and it was presumably the death of the widow Cordelia Hayward that prompted the sale of the property. I seem to recall also reading somewhere that the Ismays noticed the house was for sale when driving in the area.

Attachments