It was 25 years ago today... more or less.

• Thread starter Encyclopedia Titanica
  • Start date
Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
To be honest, ET's exact birthday seems to be lost to the mists of time, but it was about 1 September 1996 when this site first went online.

Thanks to all the fabulous people who have contributed, encouraged, criticized (usually constructively) or just joined us for the ride.

I reckon just another 25 years and it should be finished!

Cheers

Phil

Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

Neat! Happy Birthday ET!

Interesting that it coincides with the 36th anniversary of the Ballard-French team finding the wreck.

Southampton

Southampton

Happy birthday, ET! And congratulations to all the staff and members for making this website such a reference for all Titanic enthusiasts. I, for one, love coming here at the end of the day and get my daily Titanic fix.

Jim Currie

Jim Currie

Happy "thing", Phillip and thank you for an idea that grew to this and gave individuals like me a place to forget worries and meet with all the different personalities who make up the ET family.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

To be honest, ET's exact birthday seems to be lost to the mists of time, but it was about 1 September 1996 when this site first went online.

Thanks to all the fabulous people who have contributed, encouraged, criticized (usually constructively) or just joined us for the ride.

I reckon just another 25 years and it should be finished!

Cheers

Phil
Did you guys know the C2T guys? Both your sites came on just about the same time. But that one is gone now. Congrats on being a survivor. Most sites from then are long gone now. Cheers.

Last edited:
Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
The fact that the site and forum are still going strong, after 25 and 21 years respectively is remarkable. I don't know of any other website that focuses on the Titanic, which can attest to that. The site and forum continue to be excellent resources for anyone wishing to research Titanic and her story. Phil, you have my utmost thanks and appreciation for creating the site all those years ago - the community owes you a debt of gratitude.

Samuel Halpern

Samuel Halpern

Somehow I missed seeing this thread until now, but I do second what everyone else has said about it. Some people have postulated that FB would replace all on-line forums. Yet try and find anything on FB that really needs to be researched or resurrected. As Jason said above, this site and forum continue to be excellent resources for anyone wishing to learn something, rather than listening to a bunch of casual, and mostly ill informed FB posts that regurgitate the same old discredited stuff again and again. FB has its place, but a site like this can be a useful tool for the serious Titaniac.