It's all very quiet....

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi all,

As a regular here, i've noticed how quiet the forums have become lately. So i'm wondering what we can do to increase the conversation a bit and get new members interested in discussing topics on here? Thoughts? I'd hate to see these forums just fizzle out...

Cheers,
Adam.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Hi all,

As a regular here, i've noticed how quiet the forums have become lately. So i'm wondering what we can do to increase the conversation a bit and get new members interested in discussing topics on here? Thoughts? I'd hate to see these forums just fizzle out...

Cheers,
Adam.
Perhaps Face Book has something to do with it? I see some 'old hands' posting there but not here. Same thing is happening to other Titanic sites. Also it might have a lot to do with entrenched ideas and commitments to print that make back-peddling or re-assessment an embarrassment? (Now that should stir something eh?)

Jim C

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
It seemed like interest in Titanic peaks when some external thing happens. The big movie, a Discovery Channel special, a new book with unlikely theories, the 100th anniversary, etc. Such things seem to beyond what we can much do within this forum? I am always hoping to encounter other forums or websites that might be interested in what is here.

Apr 18, 2014
Czech Republic
Doug, I think you are right. We need to attract more people towards ET, and encourage them to express themselves more often than it is common here these days. Yes, the big movie had a major influence, but alas I think mainly with the majority because of the love story, which wouldnt in reality take place. Not all those people who saw Cameron´s Titanic are the true Titanic story enthusiasts as we are... I was 14 when the film was the hit, and I can say as I was watching it for the first time in the theater, there were a lot of young girls cause of Di Caprio.... I wonder whether those whom he was driving crazy in 1997, still do support him these days...

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi all,

Well, there are definitely outside influences which are at work here but i've been a member (although my own appearances have been sporadic) for over a decade now and I can't recall a time when it's been more quiet than over the past month or so. What attracted me to staying here as opposed to other forums in the past has been the quality of discussion and the quality of information available on this site. Perhaps that's something we need to look at marketing more in order to draw more people to the forums?

To be fair, the discussion can be quite robust on here at times, something which I enjoy but something which others may not. In any case, I think it's well worth brainstorming ways of attracting new members to the forums and old ones back.

Cheers,
Adam.

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
It seems to me that in the past, the forum activity would increase if Titanic was in the news or the public spotlight for some reason. As I remember it, the forum was much more active when I joined in 2007 and has gradually been slowing down over the years. There was a bit of a spike around the 100th anniversary, but since then it has been falling flat. There hasn't been much more talk of Titanic in the media lately and people's attention has gone elsewhere. Not sure what we can do about it. :confused: At least this thread brought me back for my first post in months! :D

Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I log in every morning and have noticed that things have been really quite around here too. Only time I see that there seems to be a big spark in discussion is when Jim and Sam are going at one of there debates or discussions. Though even then it seems to be a topic that was first brought up either months or years before, not that it is a bad thing but seems to me that if you need to find out something most more than likely at some point it has been discussed here.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Thanks for your thoughts, Russell and Michael. Glad it's not just my imagination!

On another forum which i'm a member of, the moderators post up "topic of the month" type things.....for the sake of argument, the November topic on ET might be "What would have happened to the Titanic if she hadn't sunk?" and the December topic might be "Was the behaviour of Captain Lord justified?" and so on - of course, most of the time such topics are just rehashing what we've all been over plenty of times before, but it gets people discussing, debating and active on the boards. There are also other things like weekly caption contests, trivia, etc etc. What does everyone think about this as a possibility for getting more members, new and old, to engage with the forums?

Brainstorm away....

Cheers,
Adam.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Thanks Michael. I would of course be happy to help out with this if the moderators required it, but I shall wait for the official word.... :)

Cheers,
Adam.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Adam, we don't require anything...other than a modicum of decorum.

;-)

You or anyone else is free to start whatever threads you think are appropriate

Adam Francis

Jul 3, 2011
Hi all,

It does seem quiet lately? Though I admit I don't post much, but do check in from time to time.

On another note, perhaps the community is shrinking? I can't seem to find Titanic-Titanic on the 'net? It might be that the 1997 "Titanic" bubble is popping now that the anniversary is over with.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Adam, I'm a moderator on the T-T message board, as well as this one, but I don't know what's happened over there. It's been generating a "Domain not found" message for a couple of weeks now, and my emails to Andy Clarkson have been returned as undeliverable.

Adam Francis

Jul 3, 2011
Adam, I'm a moderator on the T-T message board, as well as this one, but I don't know what's happened over there. It's been generating a "Domain not found" message for a couple of weeks now, and my emails to Andy Clarkson have been returned as undeliverable.
Hello Mark,

I tried to find the site today and discovered it gone. Kind of a shame that all those contributions are evidently lost for good. If you hear anything, keep us informed please.

I think perhaps Titanic-Titanic has disappeared then, perhaps for good this time. I keep getting the same page.

Hello Michael,

Perhaps Andrew decided to shut the forum down then. A lot of the membership seemed to have dwindled away over the past year too. It was always nice to visit the different forums to see what was happening in the 'Titanic' world. Another one bites the 'berg I suppose.

Thanks,
Adam

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Perhaps Andrew decided to shut the forum down then.
I'm sure that if Andy had decided just to close up shop he would have announced that to the membership or, at the very least, the moderators. That he didn't suggests to me that something unexpected happened that he hasn't been able to rectify yet.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
It's been a long time since i've visited Titanic-Titanic, glad to hear that it's still around. Sadly I think you're right, Adam - now that all the survivors are gone and the centenary is done with there's sort of a "what next?" feeling about it all. But there are subjects far older than the Titanic which still garner a massive amount of attention, so let's hope it's just a lull in proceedings.

Mark, no problem. I'll come up with something and post it at the start of December for the topic of the month. If anyone wants to beat me to it or has any suggestions, feel free!

Cheers,
Adam. :)

Edinlake

Nov 21, 2014
Edinboro, Pennsylvania US
I'm a long time lurker here. I started reading the threads constantly back in 2006 and posted quite a bit in 2008/2009 but have since lost that password and email address so I just created a new one. I can't help but notice how this forum has been declining in user activity. Even some of the great posters from the early 2000s have seem to desert us, but I am pleased to see some of the regulars such as Mark, Michael, Bob, Jason, and a few others still around. I'm hoping with the new highly anticipated Titanic Honor and Glory game coming out in another year to two will spark another popular wave of Titanic posters. Time will tell, but I am here to stay and trying to read through a bunch of older threads to get some conversations going. In the early to mid 2000s a topic would be started with several posts coming in daily. I miss the old days and wish I had posted here during the height of the forum, but I was only 16 in 2005 and didn't start using the internet socially until 2008. *By the way does anybody know where some of the heavily frequenting posters of the old days went off to and why they no longer post?

*I think about this boat everyday* :(