It's all very quiet....

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Good to hear from you, Edinlake. As for why some members no longer post, that'd be guesswork but I suppose it's just down to the individual - maybe they got busy, lost interest, or whatever. Anyway as long as there is a good core group of members it will remain an interesting place to post, and the site itself is a wonderful source of information, but it would always be nice to have even more members and topics wouldn't it?! (By the way, we must be the same age, I was 16 in 2005 as well.... :D )

Cheers,
Adam.

PITAI

Jul 20, 2013
I'm a lurker, and I'd imagine there are many of us who watch but don't participate. I base that off of the very high view count versus post count that seems to be the case for every thread. I'd say it's because we're waiting for the experts to come in and explain what's what. That's this website's strength; the actually knowledgeable people present. Frankly, what do others have to add apart from questions that the experts can then answer?

Adam Francis

Jul 3, 2011
The best opportunity to learn about Titanic is to ask questions. 'Lurking' and reading are fine, but we need something to discuss or we're all bored waiting for something to talk about.

I was a member of ET since before the 'new' board was launched. Back then it was bustling with activity. Many people left for Facebook groups; I guess because it is simpler for them to multitask. I just don't feel one can truly discuss a topic and reach the full depth on Facebook, that we can here on ET.

Titanic doesn't die until no one cares, and I refuse to believe no one cares but a small few. Where'd all the steam go? Get those boilers lit! All-ahead Full! Let's get this ship moving again!

PITAI

Jul 20, 2013
Many people left for Facebook groups; I guess because it is simpler for them to multitask. I just don't feel one can truly discuss a topic and reach the full depth on Facebook, that we can here on ET.
Well that may be the issue; this site is competing with Facebook. On the same hand, I lurk largely because I feel that I don't have much to say that either hasn't already been said better by someone else earlier. To be terribly blunt, I'm largely here to read what the experts have to say, not to hear my own voice. I can hear largely uneducated opinions at any time, ET provides the rare opportunity to get fantastic opinions based on specialized facts. I imagine that's the case for a good number of people, provided they haven't already moved on.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Adam and PITAI,

I don't think that ET is "competing" with Facebook as such because a large portion of people use Facebook in any case. In saying that, I think that since the centenary especially, a lot of interest in Titanic has waned and only the true diehards stick to the forums for any length of time. It is a shame but it may simply be a sign of the times - it's up to those of us that are still here to keep it fresh!

Cheers,
Adam.

Adam Francis

Jul 3, 2011
Hello PITAI and Adam,

(this could get confusing quickly, haha) My username used to be different on the 'old' boards, but of course those were the days when real names were required. Back then when you joined, you had to supply your real name and a username. When the new forum was launched I received an email stating an account had been 'reserved' for me under my real name. We seem to have gained a lot of 'Adams' since those days! Haha

Those are good points. Perhaps we will see Titanic again take her rightful place in public remembrance. I do hope more ET members come back, or at least new people join.

PITAI

Jul 20, 2013
Sir Went,

You're probably correct about Titanic's steam finally fizzling out. It sucks that I found this site pretty much after all the major commotion died down.

Sir Francis,

If it makes you feel any better, my name is Christian Pierce and I hail from the land of maple syrup and crack addicts for mayors.

Unfortunately, I followed Michael Standart's last message in which he asked for his account to be deleted. His post count indicates he was one of the most prolific on the site. Seems like a major loss, and he seemed to be very knowledgeable. I wonder what spurred him on. Maybe too much Titanic?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Adam:

I've always thought it's better if members use their real names, just kind of gives the forum more of a genuine community feel. But then again, I can understand why some people prefer usernames. IIRC, there was a time when guests were allowed to post on these forums as well. I think if you look at some of the topics from about 10-15 years ago, when Titanic was still a very popular subject, a lot of what we discuss now was already being discussed back then - it's just being rehashed with different members. I guess there's only so much you can talk about, which is why it always pays to try and keep things fresh and interesting.

PITAI:

Yes, that was a shame about Michael. He and I didn't always see eye to eye but he was a very solid contributor over a long period of time. Who knows?

Cheers,
Adam.