J. Kent Layton's Lusitania: An Illustrated Biography of the Ship of Splendor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2004
New York State, United States
Michael,

That is extremely frustrating. I contacted Amazon (US) directly yesterday and informed them of the revised December publication date. The information was received and has appeared on the book's page now. However, it is still not available to actually pre-order.

I'm working with the publisher to try to figure out a way to get the books ordered through me here in the US and (hopefully) Canada delivered before Christmas, but we're still a bit concerned because of the way that the international post works at that time of year.

We'll have to see how everything plays out over the next 2 1/2 months. Thank you again, everyone, for your patience waiting for this volume. Take care!

Mar 27, 2004
Michael,

If it helps, I will be putting up an Amazon Payments checkout button for this book on my site soon. That will allow you to pay me directly through your Amazon account, and I fulfill it just as it would be fulfilled through TMB. I don't prefer it as a payment method, since Amazon withholds the funds for a couple of weeks and I have to pay shipping costs 'out of pocket,' but a number of people have enjoyed using it with my other books. I'll keep you posted on that - it might be next week that I get it up. I hope this helps!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks O.M. I'll keep that in mind, but I may just go directly to your website instead and bypass Amazon. They're great when dealing with what they have in stock but not so swift when it comes to pre-orders for upcoming publications

Mar 27, 2004
All right, everyone - I just I'd drop a line to let everyone know that the time has arrived.
happy.gif

The publisher is about to send the book off to the presses, and they will actually be determining the print run based on orders in hand. So if anyone hasn't placed their order yet, but know they will want in on the first print run, placing your order sooner rather than later will ensure that there are no delays in fulfillment. This goes no matter where you're ordering it from -- me directly, the publisher, or through any retail chain.

Availability and actual shipments are still expected during December for the UK/Europe, and we are hoping very much to have availability in the US and Americas by Christmas. However, that depends entirely on the way that things go with the international shipments - and with the busy Christmas season in the mails, as well as the elevated need for shippers to perform anti-terrorism checks of shipments, there are no guarantees.

However, placing your pre-orders now will at least make sure that enough copies are printed up front, and that there are no significant delays beyond what happens with the post.

The links for pre-ordering are still on this thread. Happy ordering!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Martin, did you do those new covers? The backpiece in particular looks a lot like the drawings you've presented here on ET.

It looks great regardless and I'm looking forward to seeing the new edition appear in my mailbox.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
No, That is Tom Lears' work. It is quite impressive. Michael, when I first saw it I didn't expect a sense of synchronicity. I had been playing with the event from a similar POV for quite a while and it originated from Bernard Olivers" drawings and what Jim Kalafus has been up to here in recent times. I had no idea someone else was having similar thoughts.

A late Christmas present or an early birthday; this book is something I am looking forward to.

regards Martin

Mar 27, 2004
Martin & Michael,

I'm very sorry that I was late in showing the covers over here for everyone to enjoy. Things have been a bit nutty of late, with my fingers in several different projects, not to mention other things, all at once. I've also had a few minor technical issues with my site that need to be fixed not too far down the road, and I've been taking the first steps toward trying to rectify them.

As we speak, the book has been formally approved and should be at the printers. I should be hearing more from the team at my publishers next week, I should think. Meanwhile, we've been having a spot of trouble with US-based retailers. Amazon.com, for example, still isn't taking pre-orders, even though they have been contacted on the subject more than once.

Michael, I've got your order on file and will be getting your copy in with my first full batch of books from England. I'm suggesting, at this point, that anyone in the States that wants to make sure they get their order in should do so through my site sooner rather than later - at this point I have no idea when these retailers are going to sort their issues out.

Meanwhile, thank you both for your kind comments regarding the covers. Tom really outdid himself on the artwork for this book.

Enjoy...! Take care, everyone!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm very sorry that I was late in showing the covers over here for everyone to enjoy. Things have been a bit nutty of late, with my fingers in several different projects, not to mention other things, all at once.<<

Not a problem, O.M. With all this going on, you have your hands full. Deal with the priority issues first. We'll still be here when you can get away from it...or need to!

>>Meanwhile, we've been having a spot of trouble with US-based retailers. Amazon.com, for example, still isn't taking pre-orders, even though they have been contacted on the subject more than once.<<

Amazon had their shot and blew it as far as I'm concerned. If they want to keep on blowing it, that's their loss.

>>Michael, I've got your order on file and will be getting your copy in with my first full batch of books from England. <<

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.