Jack and Fabrizio's cabin

Jul 31, 2008
At the beginning of the film, when Jack and Fabrizio are looking for their cabin, Jack says "G 60, oh right here".
Being single men, of course I do not know about the Swedish guys Jack won the tickets from, but they probably were single, they would have stayed somewhere forward. There were no passenger cabins forward on G-deck, just the open berths, so wouldn't Jack and Fabrizio have stayed on E or F deck?

Dec 6, 2000
Olympic had open berths forward on G-deck, Titanic had cabins. See here: http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/titanic/explorer/explorer.html

3rd Class rooms did not have a deck and room number, just a room number. The rooms were in sections. Room 60 was in Section E on F-deck, near the forward port-side corner of the Squash Racquet Court there are stairways. Room 60 [an 8 berth cabin] is outboard from those stairs.

3rd Class passenger Inspection Cards, contained a Section, berth & room number.

Those plans will also answer your questions re Scotland Road. There was no closed bulkhead near the after hatchways. This is an error shown on some plans. There were WT doors in that section of Scotland Road. You will find the swimming bath entrance forward of the Turkish Bath.
The British Inquiry refers to the port-side passage way on E-deck as: being about 8.5 ft wide - a general communication passage for the crew and third-class passengers, ... known as the working passage. ...... access to third-class dining rooms on the deck below.

Jul 31, 2008
That's great plans. Does that mean that the deckplans most commonly shown, the plans on this site among them, are actually of the Olympic after refit? Which plans are correct?
When she was built, Olympic had promenade decks on B-deck, while Titanic had staterooms spanning the width of the ship, right? This was later changed on the Olympic. She also got raised bulkheads.
If that is the case, that most deckplans shown are actually of the Olympic, then my question about Scotland Road applies to the Olympic too. Where the bulkheads closed, preventing men staying somewhere forward to get to the poop deck, or did all the bulkheads have wtd's?

Jul 31, 2008
One could say, that since the third class accommodations where both forward and aft, and the only way of getting from one end to the other was Scotland Road, it was more logical to number cabins that way than a deck letter and a number.

Dec 6, 2000
The deck plans on this web-site seem to be a mix of Titanic, Olympic and made-up.
Re Olympic by 1913 the Restaurant had been extended to the side of the ship and a Cafe Parisien installed. Later forward of the Grand staircase a number of suites extending to the side of the ship were installed. But post her re-fits Olympic retained most of her B-deck promenade.
Most plans shown are Olympic-Shipbuilder plans and therefore before any re-fits.
As I said there were WT doors in the after bulkheads on E-deck. Look at the plans and you will see them marked. Any raised bulkheads on Olympic must have included that feature otherwise E-deck would have been rendered useless on both sides of the ship.

Jul 31, 2008
Thank you for that answer.
Yes, E-deck would have been useless with closed bulkheads without wtd's. Of course raised bulkheads made the ship safer, but people, crew in particular, still needed to get from one end to the other. I do see the doors on the plans.
So the Discovery plans, you linked to, are the most correct, and they are also the most readable I have seen.
About the Olympic. I read in a book, that when The Olympic was refitted, her B-deck was rebuilt to look almost exactly like The Titanic's. I was under the impression that must have included the promenade, but the book does only mention Cafe Parisien.
You probably do not know that book, since it is Danish, as I am.

Oct 14, 2009
Lester--thanks so much for posting the link to Beveridge's Titanic Explorer; he's put together a very nice and highly detailed set of deck plans. What a great resource!

From looking at these, I still have a lingering question; there doesn't appear to have been a service lift from the food storage areas to the galleys several decks above...how did the kitchen staffs move the food up there to prepare meals? If they used the stairs, they got plenty of continuous exercise.

Jul 31, 2008
Stephen, there was a hoist, or the plans show one right by the stairs that ran from the galley down to the storage. However there does not seem to have been direct access from the 3rd class galley to the provisions storage.