Jack from Cork

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
Hi all,

My name's Jack and I'm from Cork Ireland and the news east subscriber to Encyclopedia Titanica.

I've been a Titanic enthusiast for many years and I hope I can contribute to this website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
Jack, you are quite close to Cobh (formerly Queenstown), where Titanic stopped and took on passengers and mail. Several years ago, there was still an old, wooden pier that was supposedly used for passengers to board a tender to go out to Titanic. Can you verify whether the pier is still there and whether it is, in fact, the original pier used for Titanic passengers?

J Sheehan

Aug 23, 2019
Cork, Ireland
Yes Doug,

I do live very near to Cobh and I've been there many times over the years.

In fact I went earlier today ( August 31st 2019) and I can confirm the original pier where Titanic's passengers boarded the tenders is still there, though looking quite dilapidated.

IMG_9076.JPG

And here it is. The cruise ship in the back ground is the Crown Princess, and what a ship she is!

Also if you're ever in Cobh, drop down to Cobh Railway Station; in one of the rooms there's an exhibition complete with large model of Titanic and Britannic.

IMG_9024.JPG

IMG_9028.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
Thanks, Jack - that looks to be the pier I saw in Cobh about 15+ years ago. From the photo, the decking is missing and whatever hand rails were originally there are gone. The deck stringers look reasonably good. The bents seems to be in bad shape, and some appear to have been reinforced with sisters. It seems that overall, the remains of the pier's days are numbered.