Jack Phillips postcards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 1999
In light of Miles's recent accquistion of a Jack Phillips postcard, I'm starting to become interested in trying to obtain one again. I tried to find some a few years ago...the closest I ever came to finding a potential source was a maritime collectibles person...but I lost the original email address and postal address, so could never find out if they had anything.

Are there any dealers besides Ebay that manage to sell one of the postcards he sent to his family over the years prior to 1912?

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
They show up quite frequently at the Aldridge auctions held in conjunction with the BTS convention - I was going to bid on one a while back, but was distracted by mates at the bar and wasn't in the room when it went under the hammer.

G

Guest (R17)

If you want a Jack card there is a postcard written by him being held at the New York auction, with 2 letters written by lessor known crew members in the same lot. I think the estimate goes up to $3000, but am not sure. I don't know what Jack postcards normally fetch. I have been told there are a few and come from an album.
Mine went for £520 which I think is the asking price however there was an extra charge later added. I think maybe the card would have made an extra couple of hundred pounds if it were being sold at an auction just for the Titanic. However in the auction I obtained my card they had all sorts of things ranging from the American civil war to literature written by Albert Eistein. So it was very broad. I don’t think many Titanic people new about the auction, which surprised me, as these Titanic items were listed on Ebay although the auction house was separate

G

Guest (R17)

Again Like with my postcard they do not show the front of the card at the G.Auction, so often you never know what sort of image you are going to end with. I could have got a card with a not so good/informative image on, but it turned out ok. I think the image shows the hotel where Jack might have been staying at. The image can tell you a lot, and it seems Jack was on holiday in France - rather than just away.

I hope you do find a Jack card. I hear there was a whole album, so they should pop up from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.