Jack & Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Laurie Platt

I read somewhere that the character of Jack & Rose were somewhat based on true characters aboard the ship. Is this true?

Sarah Houtby

Aug 15, 2002
I think the closest thing to a real person they were based on would be James Dawson, a stoker who died in the tragedy. But I'm fairly certain, James Cameron had no inkling of his existance. Although he has an in depth knowledge of Titanic herself he has no idea whatsoever about the people who sailed aboard her. I could list numerous mistakes and inconsistancies but this is neither the time nor the place.

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
Sarah. Joeseph Dawson was a trimmer* but maybe you could be right about him being a stoker as well to be honest Cameron made a good film.8/10
but i would give it historicle facts 1/10.
*trimers are men who take the coal to the stokers in wheel barrows

Sarah Houtby

Aug 15, 2002
Thanks for setting me straight James,
I really should have checked my notes before making that post. Well, at least I got his LAST name right. And (now that i've checked my notes) yes he was a trimmer. Maybe he moonlighted as a stoker and that's where I went wrong....right

Yeah, I liked the film, I have to confess I watch it at least twice a year...NOT of course to see those incredibly handsome officers....no no no it's so that I can feel closer to Titanic....er...where was I? Oh yes and I agree about your rating of 1/10 for Historical accuracy.
Ciao,
Sarah

Erin Smith

Mar 15, 2005
jack was based on jack thawyer and jack london (he wrote the white fang books) i can see a lot of jack london in jack dawson, but not so much of thawyer. i don't know who rose was based on . . .

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"jack was based on jack thawyer and jack london (he wrote the white fang books) i can see a lot of jack london in jack dawson, but not so much of thawyer. i don't know who rose was based on . . ."

Jack and Rose were not based on anyone. They were fictional characters created by James Cameron.

Jun 12, 2004
Jason,

I think he knows that. He's probably saying that the fiction characters are loosely based, meaning influenced by, certain real people from the Titanic. I have to admit that I've read this, too, although I cannot remember which passengers they were. Jack Thayer jr. and Jack London (the writer) do ring a bell, though. I read this in an interview with James Cameron, although the details are fuzzy at this point. I'm not saying that I agree with what Erin said or that I agree that those inspirations were J. Thayer jr. and J. London - nor am I saying the claim is right or wrong - but I do have an inkling about that to which he's referring. If I can find the article, I will cite the information for you.

Erin Smith

Mar 15, 2005
Jack and Rose were not based on anyone. They were fictional characters created by James Cameron

i read somewhere that they were!!!! read about jack london and you will notice things that are the same about him and jack!i'm not saying that Jack London or jack Thayer "are" jack dawson, but they were an infulance for his character.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>read about jack london and you will notice things that are the same about him and jack!i'm not saying that Jack London or jack Thayer "are" jack dawson, but they were an infulance for his character.<<

Not necesserily, Erin. There may be similarities, but this doesn't mean that one was an influance on the other.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"I read this in an interview with James Cameron, although the details are fuzzy at this point."

That's interesting Mark, I've never read where James Cameron states this, so I would be interested in reading it.

Jun 12, 2004
Let me find it, Jason, and then I'll post either the link and/or the passage. I don't remember exactly where it is. It is an interesting article. I think you'll enjoy it.

Jun 4, 2000
Just in case it assists anyone, David Lubin discusses Jack Dawson/Jack London in his book about the film, Titanic (British Film Institute, 1999). From memory, he's not particularly complimentary. ;)

B

Bobby Watkins

has any one seen r heard of the list of passangers in the titanic and if there realy was a jack and rose and how did he really get on the ship[.....if you have any answers plse email me at [email protected]

[Moderator's Note: This message originally appeared in a discussion of Titanic deck plans and has been moved here. MAB]

H

Holly Hewlett

I found out about one love story on the Titanic - a 1st class maid called Roberta fell in love with a crew member (whose identity was never revealed). As she was boarding a lifeboat, her lover handed her his White Star Line badge. He then went down with the ship. (I found this in a newspaper, but I think there is also some information about it on this site).
I am not suggesting that this is related to Jack & Rose, but I thought it was very interesting.
Holly.

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

I think the closest real story to Jack&Rose's story is the inverse one. Mr. Lunderstrom, a third class passenger, fall unexpectedly in boat 15 when it was been launched, leaving his young bride in the deck. They never saw each other again.

Best, JC

Status
Not open for further replies.