Jack Thayer's letter to Milton Long's parents

Dec 12, 1999
The thread about passengers and how much is known about them got me thinking about the letter Jack Thayer wrote to Milton Long's parents after the disaster. I've only seen a full version of it in Michael Davie's book, and there's some mention of it in ANTR (I think). Where does the original copy reside? With the Long family? Or somewhere else? I've always liked this letter for many different reasons, chief among them being the little glimpses it gives into the kind of person Milton was. Masquerading as twenty-two in Switzerland when he was really almost thirty...naughty, naughty. ;)

For those who are curious about what the letter contains, I typed out a copy in the thread below:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5811/1155.html

Feb 6, 2004
As a point of information, I grew up and still live in the greater Springfield, Massachusetts area should anyone think of something that can be gained from research here. I was deeply touched by Jack's letter, he was certainly an exceptional young man.

Jul 11, 2001
Thanks Kritina for reprinting that letter for us. It has been a long time since I last read it. It is a very moving piece.

The letter says a lot about Jack. He was no doubt never the same the rest of his life. After reading more about his later years after his mother passed away and the loss of his son in the war, it makes you wonder if he suffered from depression after each loss. I am assuming he was still married at the time he took his own life, which makes you wonder where was she at the time and why didn't she see this before it was too late.

James! Greetings from Connecticut! The story of Milton Long seems to dead end (no pun intended) in Springfield as he was an only child. I do not know if his families house even still stands. It may have been torn down during some mid 60s urban renewal projects. So many of Hartfords grand old mansions were razed after the war. Any time you want to talk Titanic, drop me a line or two as I don't live too far from you.

David

Feb 6, 2004
Hey neighbor! It is my understanding another passenger was from Springfield, tho her name eludes me at the moment. I know she was irish. A good friend of mine at The Connecticut Valley Historical Museum (John Oconnor) has done some work on this. Ill have to bend his ear when I see him next.

J

Joan David

Jack Thayer was a best all, he was a beautiful boy and more candy, he had it all, I never forgot him