Jack would have lived

Ebby Greane

Aug 13, 2005
Just a thought that has been annoying me for ages. If Rose had stayed on the lifeboat instead of jumping back into the ship, Jack would have been able to lie on the floating door instead of her and therefore would have not been in the freezing water, and would have a greater chance of surviving. Then he and Rose could have been reunited on the carpathia!!
Please respond to what you thing about this, it annoys me so much!!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
And by accepting a place in a boat and then jumping out while it was being lowered she left an empty space, thus depriving somebody else of a chance to survive. Naughty girl.

May 7, 2005
Jack would not have lived. And it wasnt a floating door. It was an oak panel that was located originally over the 1st Class Lounge Door. But I say that Jack wouldnt have made it because he was just so dependant on Rose. He would have thought floating on the panel would be boring. He would swim out to try and find her. And thus. Jack Dawson of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin would have been just another freezey pop. Pity isn't it?

Jul 12, 2003
I don't know if Rose had stayed on the life boat, that Jack would have been able to float on the door. He might have tried to save someone else, believing that Rose was safe, for example.

If that had happened, and they met up in NY or wherever, the story or Rose and Jack wouldn't have had the impact it did. It wouldn't have been the tragic love story. There definitely weren't as many happy endings for the people as there was sad.

If it was Jack floating on the door or panel, I doubt if he's be bored. He'd be kind of busy trying to survive. To me, Jack wasn't dependent on Rose. I doubt if he was dependent on anyone considering the life he led...surviving on what he could where he could and how he could. He was a smart guy.

But, all in all, as Kyrila said..."it is just a movie".
happy.gif

Kevin Perez

Jul 10, 2005
*Rose jumps out of the boat and heads for the stairway*

Jack: Rose?!

Rose: Yes Jack, my love!

*Jack slaps Rose in her face*

Jack: You stupid little rich girl! I thought I told you to get into a lifeboat! Guess you'd rather do it the hard way then!

*grabs Rose by the legs*

Rose: Unhand me, Jack! I want to die with you! I have no other reason to live! I will stay with you till death do us apart!

Jack: Yeah, sure, that's what they ALL say.

I know I made it very unfunny and unoriginal, but that would make a excellent parody of the movie!

happy.gif

May 7, 2005
Well, I dunno Kevin. I found it a wee bit funny. And Deborah, I just hope he had a deck of cards in his pocket so he could play solitaire.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jack and Rose not real? Tell me it ain't so, Jerry!
shock.gif

To be serious, I tend to agree and I only occasionally make a contribution to the Encyclopaedia Cameronia section of the forum. Nevertheless, discussions about Titanic-inspired films, including their fictional elements, are legitimate subject matter here and can be an amusing diversion when you're in the right mood. It's only a problem when fact and fantasy become confused, as when we read (as we often do) that something was so in reality because it was seen to be so in this or that film.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Hi Bob, I do remember hearing that some teen-aged girls who did really believe that Jack and Rose were real passengers aboard the Titanic and then got depressed when they were informed that they were really fictitious characters.When I was last in Halifax,Canada at one of the 3 cemetaries in Halifax where the Titanic victims are buried,the tour guide brought us to the grave of J.Dawson and he told us of stories of teen-aged girls leaving flowers at J.Dawson's grave thinking that the fictitious character was buried there and not knowing the real story of Joseph Dawson who worked aboard the Titanic down in the Titanic's boiler room and he did not survive the sinking and it is Joseph Dawson who is buried there and not the fictitious Jack Dawson.I have heard that James Cameron had already written the script for the movie when he did visit the cemetary and was surprised to find the grave of J.Dawson

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'm not sure what I find the more surprising, Jerry, the teenies who mourn at J Dawson's grave or the millions who, at the other extreme, have seen the film and believe that the whole story is fictional: "What, you mean there really was a ship called Titanic? Did it really hit an iceberg and sink?" I've lost count, by the way, of the number of times I've had to inform posters in the Guestbook that The Diary of Margaret Anne Brady is a work of fiction - and I haven't always succeeded in convincing them!

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Well Bob I guess that concerning these teen-aged girls who thought that Jack and Rose were real passengers aboard the Titanic,these teen-aged girls are probably too lazy to pick-up a book such as "A Night to Remember" to read the real story about the Titanic.I also do not blame James Cameron with the way he made the movie.I have heard that Cameron did not want to do a remake of the other Titanic film "A Night to Remember" and in my opinion there would be no point remaking A Night to Remember because it would be like doing a remake of The Wizard of Oz.My only fault with his film is the way 1st Officer Murdoch is portrayed near the end of the as a trigger-happy goon since we do not know for sure if Murdoch or any of the Titanic's officers did shoot some of the passengers and now I have heard that he does regret portraying 1st Officer Murdoch that way.

J

Jeffrey Word

If Jack would have given it a couple of tries and Rose would have HELPED him, he could have gotten on top of her and they'd both have been warmer. As thick as that wood was, it would have been buoyant enough to support both of them. I thought that part was pretty ridiculous. Strictly there to make the teenage girls cry.

J

Jeffrey Word

Oh, before anyone gets offended or anything, that last post was STRICTLY IMO.
happy.gif

Jul 11, 2001
Jeffrey writes: "If Jack would have given it a couple of tries and Rose would have HELPED him, he could have gotten on top of her and they'd both have been warmer. As thick as that wood was, it would have been buoyant enough to support both of them"

(bites tongue) Jacks' wood? LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!

J

Jeffrey Word

LOL @ David. Personal note: I'm sure Jacks' wood wouldn't have helped. 'Total Eclipse' anyone? LOL...sorry I couldn't resist either. Okay, we've got to stop making fun of that now. WAAAAY off topic! But funny! Thanks David!
happy.gif

J

Jeffrey Word

David, LMAO. How off topic could we get? We go from talking about a ship to...well, Leo. :p This is too funy. There's only one other spot in the movie I can pick on like this and be a little "nasty". I'm probably going to get in trouble for this one too.

"Jack, when the ship docks, I'm getting off with you."....hmmmm. Do I really need to say more after what they had just gotten done doing? That's my immaturity making fun of that scene. I just want to say "I thought you just did."
happy.gif