James Dobbins

J

Jemma Hyder

The guy who died during the launch was crushed under a shore holding up the hull. He was taken to Hospital but died that evening..

Mona Parks

Nov 12, 2000
I have that info, but was there a James Dobbins that was a third class passenger or a crew member? Walter Lord has him as 3rd.

J

Jemma Hyder

Hmmm.... I've been looking at crew for a while and he's never cropped up on any of my lists, he neverhad an obituary in southampton newspaper if he died I have a street by street list of the crew who died but it will take me a while to look through it as its not alphabetical!

Mona Parks

Nov 12, 2000
Hi,Jemma I'm new at the message board,and fairly new to Titanic research,so I don't have a lot of info yet. In Walter Lords "A Night To Remember" he has a James Dobbins listed as a third class passenger. My family originaly came from Ireland, and Dobbins was their name so it got me interested. Any help you could give me would be great. as I said,I'm new at this and haven't got a lot of resources yet. Thanks so much, Mona

K

kelly murru

Mona,

James (Jimmy) Dobbins never should have made it on to any of Titanic's passenger lists. He was employed by Harland and Wolfe, and killed May 31,1911, during the launching of Titanic. I believe he was the only person killed during the launch if that helps at all.

Mona Parks

Nov 12, 2000
Kelly,hi, thanks for the info. the reason I was wondering if he was a passenger was because I found his name on the list in Walter Lords book. I didn't know if there were 2 James Dobbins, one who died during construction and one who was a passenger in third class. thanks alot. Mona

Dec 6, 2000
Mona, You repeatedly say that Walter Lord has a James Dobbins listed in ANTR as a 3rd Class passenger. James Dobbins is not listed as a 3rd Class passenger in any of the several copies I have of Walter's book.