James Horner's Music

M

Maria Fernandez

Does anyone own the CD "music insipred by the movie titanic" its quite gd lots of classical music from the time and irish music

S

Susan Romanyuk

Maria,

I am a fan of James Horner. I collect movie soundtracks, and I have an extensive collection of James Horner and Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams. Titanic is a masterpiece of a soundtrack. My favorite songs on the disk are anything that does not have Rose's theme in it. Sorry but that has been played to death. 'Southampton' and 'Take Her To Sea Mr. Murdock' are my favorites on this disk. I have the other Titanic disk by Horner, but I don't listen to it much as it is a take off from the movie and the dialog in the pieces I can do without. But this is just my opinion.

But if you want to really experience James Horner, then get the soundtrack to 'Apollo 13' and 'The Perfect Storm'. Both of those soundtracks also have a great story to tell. Compare the song: 'All Systems Go-The Launch' on the Apollo 13 disk to 'Take Her to Sea Mr. Murdoch' on the Titanic sick. Both give you that shivers up the spine feeling. Both of these pieces evoke the happy emotions of voyages begun, of bright futures and man's technological triumph.

Cathy Akers-Jordan

Cathy Akers-Jordan

I love James Horner's haunting soundtrack, so much so that my husband asked if I ever listen to anything else. LOL! (Yes, I do.)

My favorites are "Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdock," which evokes the sweeping beauty of the visual sequence. (My favorite part of the film, btw.) I also like the tracks with Rose's theme (sorry, Susan), especially "Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave" because it is heart-wrenchingly sorrowful and so appropriate for the disaster. It makes me think of all the families lost loved ones.

As others have mentioned, "A Building Panic" and "Death of Titanic" are also haunting, but I like "An Ocean of Memories" because it ends on an optimistic tone. To me, that evokes the need to go on with life after a crisis. I know that's not a subtle theme in Cameron's film, but it's something we all have to do sooner or later.

Best Wishes,

Cathy

M

Maria Fernandez

I agree with you Cathy man unable to stay unwilling to leave, it really was so deep, showing us how it must have felt to leave the person or people you love, knowing u might never seen them again.
a bulding panic and death of titanic make me cry, and all the songs with the rose theme..i still like em ;)

S

Susan Romanyuk

Ok, the one music piece that truly sums up the disaster was included on the 'Back To Titanic' CD also by James Horner. You have to admit that the version by I Solonisti of 'Nearer My God To Thee' is one that really pulls the heartstrings. Particularly the way Cameron presented it in the film, especially when Jonathan Eveans-Jones as Wallace Hartley says: Gentleman, it's been a privilege playing with you tonight. Also it sets up beautifully the final death throes of Titanic.

M

Megan brule

Now I understand why the movie did so well! Its because of the haunting soundtrack.
My favorite songs on the album include "Rose" "Death of Titanic" "A promise kept" and "An ocean of memories"

S

Scott Newman

Growing up I was a huge fan of James Horner, going back to the Star Trek days. I was immediately interested when heard Horner was once again working with Cameron. I had heard there had been cat fights over their last collaboration, "Aliens".

In my opinion, Titanic is the last really great soundtrack Horner has composed. I thought "The Mask of Zorro" was descent, but just about everything he writes sounds the same these days...I know, he had the complaint back then also. Titanic really does pull at your heart strings...

Scott

W

Wesley Burton

James Horner is definitely my favourite composer. His work on Titanic and Braveheart are my personal favourites. The Perfect Storm was good too.

I didnt like his work in the Star Trek films. When it comes to Star Trek the music should be Jerry Goldsmith.

D

David F. Smith

Scott and Wesley, When the movie "Deep Impact" came out, I thought the soundtrack was verrrry familiar. Sure enough, it was by James Horner! Some of the dramatic parts were exactly like in the Titanic film!

David Smith

W

Wesley Burton

Yeah I know. Some people have said Troy sounds like Star Trek 2. Both of which Horner did. Some people even find Braveheart and Titanic similiar.

A

Alex McLean

Personally, I didn't really like the score for Troy much. It sounded a little too like Horner was trying to copy Hans Zimmer's work on Gladiator.
My best,
Happy

Alex

S

Sahand Miraminy

Hey Everyone,
The Titanic soundtrack is the best! I am too a fan of Movie soundtracks! I like Unable to stay, Unwilling to leave. I basically like everything! I think the Titanic soundtrack is what inspired me to learn how to play the piano actually!

J

Jennifer Mueller

I like everything about the Titanic sound track. It has everything action, love, and sadness. to me, Celine Dion's song My Heart Will Go On represents not only the survivors who survived the horrors of the sinking and having to leave behind those that they loved, but it is also a song for all who have had loved ones die along the way. I also loved the celtic music. I also have the second titanic cd called Back to titanic. I also want to say that Jerry Goldsmith is the best star trek composer. Jennifer Mueller

A

Adam Tarzwell

The score and love song alone had a lot to do with Titanic's success. The score was my favourite part of the film.