James Horner's Music

R

Roy Kristiansen

Hi, Fiona!

>>I knew there was some Elgar somewhere in the mix.

There's also the 13th Variation from his "Enigma" Variations. He quotes Mendelssohn's "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage" overture and uses a muffled drum roll to suggest the distant throb of a ship's engines. Short, but very atmospheric.

And don't forget the 1st and 4th movements of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherezade, "The Sea and Sinbad's Ship, etc."

While we're at it, there's Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS Pinafore, The Pirates of Penzance, The Mikado, Ruddigore and The Gondoliers, all of which have sea or sea shanty sections.

Debussy included "Sirí¨nes" in his "3 Nocturnes"; Vaughan Williams wrote a "Quick March - Sea Songs"; Jacques Ibert wrote "Escales (Ports of Call)"; Verdi opened "Otello" with one of the most cataclysmic sea storms in all music.

If we open it up just a tad to include rivers, there's Beethoven's "Scene by the Brook" from his "Pastoral" Symphony; Grofé's "Mississippi Suite" and "Hudson River Suite"; Mussorgsky's "Dawn on the Moskva River" from "Khovantschina"; Puccini's "Il Tabarro"; Smetana's "The Moldau"; and Wagner's opening of "Das Rheingold," along with all his Ring's subsequent Rhine Maiden scenes.

Lakes are well-represented by Liadov's "The Enchanted Lake." Most of the action in Tschaikovsky's "Swan Lake" takes place on dry land, but the lake's treacherous waters are never far away. (BTW, I once saw this one listed on a Scottish CD website as "Swan Loch.")
:)

Finally, Richard Rodger's humongous TV score to "Victory at Sea," and Bernstein's "On the Waterfront."

I'm sure these have just scratched the surface!

Cheers!
Roy

M

Mark Draper

"A building panic" is one of my favorite tracks- the doom of the sinking ship. Can anyone post an mp3 of this song, the whole song?

I also like creepy music- like that played whe Officer Lowe was taking his boat through the mass of bodies- it would fit in well too with the erriness of the wreck of the ship as she rests on the bottom in total darkness.

M

Mark Webster

The soundtrack is amazing. I love Rose and the theme tune, also hymn to the sea and death of Titanic, but one of my favorites is Unwilling to leave, unable to stay.
My father told me once a piece of music written by a composer, which had the voice of a survivor telling her story echoing in the background, not really audible but eerie and effective, does anyone know the name of this song or who wrote it?

M

Mark Webster

Ooo meant to say. I have also seen Gaelic Storm in live concert which is the band who played the music in the third class party scene during the film, the only thing better than hearing them in the movie or hearing them on the cd is hearing them live!!!!!

M

Michael lowe

I love James Horners music for Titanic. Especially "Take her to see Mr Murdoch" and "Nearer my god to thee" The Wallace hartley band at the end is super!

M

Marshall Garvey

Absolutely love the score, and the movie...it's Cameron's film that started my obsession with Titanic way back in second grade and I have listened to the soundtrack ever since then. My favorite, harrowing as it is, is "Death of Titanic." It's extremely haunting and evokes those gloomy, tragic images of the ship meeting her end. "Never an Absolution" is another hair-raiser, makes me think of all the people aboard the ship and how, even if they lived, things would never be the same.