James Moody Demotion

MaryEJ1998

Mary
Aug 25, 2020
Hello! I've been doing some research and I found a piece of information that I would like a little more clarification on. It says, "The next year, 1910 he works aboard the S.S. Caprera again, but is demoted back to second mate for the duration of one year 1 month and 22 days starting on the 18th of the first 1910 ending on the 8th of March 1911." I've got this information from this source. Does anybody know why he was demoted? Had he done something wrong or did a more qualified person come up? I'm just curious.
Thank you in advance for the help!

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
hmm.. never knew he was demoted. I'll try to look around. Moody was the youngest officer on Titanic, so maybe while he was on the Caprera, he was messing around, or had a slip up? I'll look around. Thanks for the information! EDIT: Can't find anything, but 6th Officer Moody was known to have a great sense of Humor, and a mischievious streak. That could be why.. And, funny thing, Lightoller was almost booted from service, while serving on the S.S Republic Can't remember the specifics, but it was during some war, while he was in the Royal Navy. He switched his and the enemy's flag, I think. Something to do with that. Sorry for not being much help

Last edited:

MaryEJ1998

Mary
Aug 25, 2020
That's ok! I will be very curious to see if more information come up. Also, I'll look into that information about Lightoller. I also saw that somewhere but it didn't list a reason. Thank you anyways!

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
Hello! I've been doing some research and I found a piece of information that I would like a little more clarification on. It says, "The next year, 1910 he works aboard the S.S. Caprera again, but is demoted back to the second mate for the duration of one year 1 month and 22 days starting on the 18th of the first 1910 ending on the 8th of March 1911." I've got this information from this source. Does anybody know why he was demoted? Had he done something wrong or did a more qualified person come up? I'm just curious.
Thank you in advance for the help!
Hello,

Inger Sheil is the best person to speak to on about Moody, she is most active on FB then here.

Reactions: 2 users

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
hmm.. never knew he was demoted. I'll try to look around. Moody was the youngest officer on Titanic, so maybe while he was on the Caprera, he was messing around, or had a slip up? I'll look around. Thanks for the information! EDIT: Can't find anything, but 6th Officer Moody was known to have a great sense of Humor, and a mischievious streak. That could be why.. And, funny thing, Lightoller was almost booted from service, while serving on the S.S Republic Can't remember the specifics, but it was during some war, while he was in the Royal Navy. He switched his and the enemy's flag, I think. Something to do with that. Sorry for not being much help
Hello,

I would like to know more on his flag swaping please.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Haha. I read it somewhere in a book, but I think its a true fact.
oh here we go: " Lightoller was reprimanded for a prank he and some shipmates played on the citizens of Sydney at Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour."

Reactions: 1 users

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
Haha. I read it somewhere in a book, but I think its a true fact.
oh here we go: " Lightoller was reprimanded for a prank he and some shipmates played on the citizens of Sydney at Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour."

Known as the "One Gun Salute" incident;
Lightoller and two shipmates from the RMS Medic, took a small boat over to the Fort Denison in Sydney Harbor in the dead of night.
They climbed the wall and the turret
They loaded up a long gun/cannon with a "ton" of powder, Lit a long fuse, hung up an enemy flag of the Boers... and rowed like mad back for shore.
The little boat that they were in was leaking and they were in danger of sinking, in shark infested waters.
They bailed and rowed like mad
They made it back to their ship, thinking they had failed because there was no blast, when suddenly the whole harbor lit up like lightning! as the powder detonated, creating a montrous roar across the harbor.
Lightoller and his mates couldn't keep from laughing and whooping it up.
They had done it!
The commanding officer had a pretty good hunch who did it, but it seems he also had a sense of humor, and the three men went unpunished.

The entire story is covered on pages 120-125 of Patrick Stenson's book, The Odessy of C.H. Lightoller.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Known as the "One Gun Salute" incident;
Lightoller and two shipmates from the RMS Medic, took a small boat over to the Fort Denison in Sydney Harbor in the dead of night.
They climbed the wall and the turret
They loaded up a long gun/cannon with a "ton" of powder, Lit a long fuse, hung up an enemy flag of the Boers... and rowed like mad back for shore.
The little boat that they were in was leaking and they were in danger of sinking, in shark infested waters.
They bailed and rowed like mad
They made it back to their ship, thinking they had failed because there was no blast, when suddenly the whole harbor lit up like lightning! as the powder detonated, creating a montrous roar across the harbor.
Lightoller and his mates couldn't keep from laughing and whooping it up.
They had done it!
The commanding officer had a pretty good hunch who did it, but it seems he also had a sense of humor, and the three men went unpunished.

The entire story is covered on pages 120-125 of Patrick Stenson's book, The Odessy of C.H. Lightoller.
Haha, there y'all go. Thanks, William

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
Re: Moody demotion
Lightoller was "demoted," actually bumped, from first officer to second shortly before Titanic's voyage. Happens all the time everywhere, not just at sea.

May 3, 2005
Re: Moody demotion
Lightoller was "demoted," actually bumped, from first officer to second shortly before Titanic's voyage. Happens all the time everywhere, not just at sea.
Demotions are common everywhere in just about any job - civilian position on land or sea or military rank at land or sea.
I remember there were some announcements of court martials when I was in the navy.
There was one in which a Petty Officer was demoted to Seaman.

James Scott

Apr 14, 2020
That's very interesting.

I'm good friends with the descendent of James Moody.

Works in my local Sainsburys.

James Scott

James Scott

Apr 14, 2020
He's a big fan of Star Wars, when to see episode 9 at the cinema.

The family sold the things related to the Titanic a long time ago. There's no documents either which is a shame.

Strange to see that your picture is of CW season 7. Big fan of that show.

James Scott

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
The normal process at sea was to sail at a rank lower than your "Ticket". hence, when an Apprentice or Cadet passed the exam for 2nd Mate (there was not 3rd Mate Certifcate) his first officer job would be that of Certified 3rd Mate. If there was no certified 2nd Mate, i.e. an oficer with a 1st Mate's Certificate, then an Officer with a Certificate of the rank was appointed. In fact, very often, there would been an uncertified 3rd Mate... an apprentice not out of his time.
I believe that 3rd Officer Groves of the SS Californian who had a 2nd Mate's Certificate was initially signed on as 2nd Mate but was demoted to 3rd Mate because 2nd Officer Stone arrived and he had a 1st Mate's Certificte.. Interestin article.. it seems that back then, getting a ticket was much easier then it eventually became. Eventually, a Master's Certificate was not issued to a Candidate unless he had passed lengthy examinations lasting a week and had spent 8 years actually at sea, ot counting leave time.

Reactions: 1 users

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
The normal process at sea was to sail at a rank lower than your "Ticket". hence, when an Apprentice or Cadet passed the exam for 2nd Mate (there was not 3rd Mate Certifcate) his first officer job would be that of Certified 3rd Mate.
Interesting. How did that affect their pay grade? For example, was Groves paid on the scale of a Second officer or Third?