James Moody Demotion

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

I would think it was very probable. Looking that menu up I saw others that were similar. One was for a Filet Mignon at a swanky dinner/theater club...$3. I remember seeing a menu from around the time of Titanic that had a lobster dinner for .60 cents or so.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I remember seeing a menu from around the time of Titanic that had a lobster dinner for .60 cents or so.
Just imagine if a swanky restaurant on the Broadway offered everything at their 1920 menu prices today for just one evening!

Reactions: Cam Houseman
Steven Christian

Steven Christian

It would probably be a fun evening. Especially if everyone got dressed in the fashion of the times.They would probably have to limit the drinks though. At .25 cents for mixed drinks and .15 cents for beer I could see a lot of too happy diners by the end of the evening...:p
P.S....I haven't seen it in awhile but back during the Titanic craze after the 97 movie came out there were places that were doing that..putting on Titanic's last dinner and such. People would dress the part.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

It would probably be a fun evening. Especially if everyone got dressed in the fashion of the times.They would probably have to limit the drinks though. At .25 cents for mixed drinks and .15 cents for beer I could see a lot of too happy diners by the end of the evening...:p
True, the drinks would be the problem. I mean, an individual can only eat so much no matter how cheap and good the food is but he/she might try to get well and truly plastered if drinks were that cheap.

P.S....I haven't seen it in awhile but back during the Titanic craze after the 97 movie came out there were places that were doing that..putting on Titanic's last dinner and such. People would dress the part.
But were they at 1912 prices?

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

No I don't think they had 1912 prices. I think some of those were charity functions also. That was the prices I saw on some of the menu's. I even saw a menu for the Waldorf Astoria hotel and drinks were only like .50 cents.

Doug Criner

Doug Criner

Here's my NYC story. In 1961, I was 19 years old, and a third class midshipman for a navy summer cruise aboard an old beat-up 2100-ton destroyer. After leaving the ship's home port of Newport, Rhode Island, our first port of call was New York for Fleet Week. So, my first trip to New York was by sea, past the Ambrose Lightship, the Statue of Liberty, under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and up the Hudson River to about Pier 97, or so. What would a 19-year-old midwestern kid do during several days liberty in NYC? Plenty! I was underage, but anybody in uniform had whatever they wanted, often at no cost. Later, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, we pulled up alongside a Canadian destroyer, which opened up their ship's bar to us Yankees. Of course, we couldn't reciprocate.

Last edited:
Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

that's a great story, Mr. Criner. Had destroyers changed much, like from the HMS Hawke that collided with the Olympic?

Doug Criner

Doug Criner

HMS Hawke that collided with Olympic was a cruiser, not a destroyer. It was coal fired, whereas my destroyer was oil fired. But anyway, destroyers had changed a lot by my time, and even more since. Many changes to weaponry and propulsion plants. But most destroyers, whatever the vintage, are more or less expendable "buckets of bolts." Crew habitability and seakeeping ability are marginal compared to larger warships. I have never experienced seasickness, but I remember standing watch with others that were "green around the gills" during even mildly rough weather.

Reactions: Steven Christian and Cam Houseman
Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

Especially in 1961. How about the gory details? ;) Off limits to young Cam, of course.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

HMS Hawke that collided with Olympic was a cruiser, not a destroyer. It was coal fired, whereas my destroyer was oil fired. But anyway, destroyers had changed a lot by my time, and even more since. Many changes to weaponry and propulsion plants. But most destroyers, whatever the vintage, are more or less expendable "buckets of bolts." Crew habitability and seakeeping ability are marginal compared to larger warships. I have never experienced seasickness, but I remember standing watch with others that were "green around the gills" during even mildly rough weather.
I never got seasick either..even when I went thru a typhoon. But I would get whoosey for a time after stepping off the ship. It was strange.

Reactions: Cam Houseman and Arun Vajpey
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I never got seasick either..even when I went thru a typhoon. But I would get whoosey for a time after stepping off the ship. It was strange.
I got a bit seasick on my first liveaboard, better on the second. After that I just stood around and watched the fun of others getting seasick. :D

Samuel Halpern

Samuel Halpern

Best cure for seasickness (or airsickness - same thing actually) is Coca-Cola. Better yet, is the original Coca-Cola syrup which they used to sell in pharmacies years ago and available with an Rx. That got me through the 1957 flu pandemic.

Reactions: Steven Christian and Cam Houseman
Cam Houseman

Cam Houseman

Best cure for seasickness (or airsickness - same thing actually) is Coca-Cola. Better yet, is the original Coca-Cola syrup which they used to sell in pharmacies years ago and available with an Rx. That got me through the 1957 flu pandemic.
wow! good to know, if I ever get sea sickness

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

There is truth to that. When I was a kid my mother and lots of moms back then would give you Coca Cola for an upset stomach. It always seemed to work for me.