James Moody's family

• Thread starter Magda Natalia Piotrowska
  • Start date
Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Looking at my piles of papers here in dismay, Hanna - I don't fancy digging through them. I have a feeling it was 1857 or possibly '56, and this accords with a quick glance at the Census returns which give his age as 24 in 1881 and 34 in 1891. His mother was certainly born in 1857 (26 December, if memory serves).

You're showing a great deal of interest in the background and careers of the deck officers - would it be too intrusive to ask if you have a special project in mind?

H

Hanna Turunen

Okay, I think it was 1857 (if he was 24 in 1881
Happy
). Your memory was right, his mother was born in 26th December 1857
Happy
. It is easy to remember, on 26th December is Tapani's day here in Finland and it's holiday ;)! I don't know do you have got it and I don't know what it is in English :/.

Yeah, I'm interested in them. Nothing important at this time, but I have to do a essay in school (subject: history) sometimes on may or april, so I collect information now . I'm so lazy then...
Happy
I have to tell in this essay some differences between real Titanic and movie Titanic too. So I think do you have got anything good sites or examples? I'm read this site's message boards about them, but do you have got something else to say
Happy
?

Something is bothering me too. Were officers left- or right-handed? I'm always wondering it... In the Cameron's movie, Smith is left-handed.

And do they have got nicknames (especially Moody's and Lowe's)?

Could you say too, when James' siblings are born, please? You can say only year if you don't remember and you don't have to watch your papers if you don't know where they are. You have made much for me
Happy
, thanks to it!

And your website, On watch, is very good! But when you update it and who is your next officer? I know you're busy, but I just asked ;).

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Hallo again Hanna - the project sounds very interesting! Our equivalent to Tapani's day is 'Boxing Day' or 'St Stephen's Day' on the 26 December. There are a couple of sites out there where variations between history and the fictionised movie story are discussed - I gather you just signed up on Andy Clarkson's 'Titanic-Titanic'?

I don't know if I've seen a record of whether the officers were left or right handed...photographs I can think of seem to indicate that they were right handed, but I'll have a flip through them again to see if there are any indications otherwise.

James Moody was known as 'Jim' (he also had family nicknames that I may incorporate in future articles). Harold Lowe did use another form of his name at the time of the Titanic disaster, but I'll divulge that in my book. I apologise if I seem a bit guarded, but I don't want to disclose too much information pre-publication (not to suggest you would fail to give due acknowledgement, but there are others out there that are less scrupulous!).

I'll look up the birthdates for Moody's siblings - I'm sorry I didn't get back to you the last time you asked the question.

I'm glad that you enjoyed On Watch! I'm afraid that I've been a bit distracted lately with other work and haven't put the finishing touches to the Boxhall bio I've been working on - I am set up with a scanner now, though, so I can add the images.

H

Hanna Turunen

Yeah, I signed up there, how do you know
Happy
? Okay, I have to go and look them.

I hope you put those James Moody's name in future articles.

A

Aly Jones

I'm kind of like Hanna here,but in a different way. Did all the moody sibilings two brothers and one sister had alot of resemblace of James?. I have never seen a pic of his sibilings before and i have always wounded if they did look a like?

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to an unrelated thread in a different subtopic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the Moody family. MAB]

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Hallo Alyson -

His older brother John did look somewhat like him, but was perhaps a bit more solidly built. Christopher was smaller and seems darker in the photos. There wasn't a striking resemblance with Margaret.

A

Anna Mcpherson

Hallo. Would any one have any photos of James Moody's Bothers & sister & parents?
Also would there be modern ancestors of James Moody having the Moody last name?
Thank you,take care.

E

Ella Jones

I am doing research on any available information on Moody,while this site as a-lot of Moody information (more so than other forums)there is still some information I can not get my hands on.

Here are the questions I would like the answers too, If you may please-

1# Was James moody an uncle at the time of the disaster (just a yes or no answer would do for me)

2# What was the ages of his Brothers & Sister at the time of Moody's death,I want to know the age difference.

Thank you for any help and information relating to this thread.

[Moderator's note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread (where, as it turns out, the most recent message was posted from the same IP as this one) discussing the subject of Moody's family. MAB]

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
"Ella"---

Someone else (?) from Melbourne asked question #1 a while back (look here) and someone else (for certain) asked the functional equivalent of question #2 earlier in this thread.

E

Ella Jones

Yes Thanks ,I have just checked,one of Inger's posts did mention that his siblings did have children,I have must have by passed that post of Inger's.
Mark,would you know the ages of Moody's siblings when he perished?

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
Nope. The subject interests me not at all.

B

Bob Godfrey

Ellannyson, I'm not sure that Moody did perish. There's a rumour that he survived, adopted a common alias such as Smith or Jones, and ended up in Melbourne. Where to this day his descendants remain unsure of quite who they are.

K

Kat Komorowski

Quick question, Bob, and highly off-topic. Feel free to delete at any discretion!
Happy

Is there anyway for forum administrators to block specific IP address to stop pesky, reoccurring Trolls from creating multiple accounts?

Just wondering utterly randomly!

K

Kat Komorowski

Oooh, silly me! Should have been Mark!

I'm all over the place today! Sorry, Bob!
Happy

B

Bob Godfrey

It's a fair cop. MAB and I are indeed the same person. It's infectious!
Grin