James Moody's photograph just before joining the Titanic

A

Alyson Jones

I am trying to find a photograph which was taken of James just before he boarded the Titanic.
I want to see what James looks like at the age of 24 years old.
I have seen heaps of photographs of him but they turn out to be years before.

Is this photograph of James just before he boarded the Titanic?

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/james_paul_moody

If any one has a pic of James in April 1912,if it's not against the rules,could you post it for me please.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
That photo, published in the Illustrated London News and in a few other publications in April 1912, is cropped from a larger portrait that was taken when he joined the WSL in the latter part of 1911.

The print isn't very clear, but you can just about make out the WSL house flag on his cap badge.

I don't think it's the best photograph of him - there's a curious effect to the lighting that emphasises the slightly asymetical character of his eyes.

A

Alyson Jones

Hi Inger. So basically that's how he would of look like in 1912? he won't of change that much in one year would he?
Inger if you seen photo's of him in 1912, does he look the same in this pic?
In that photograph he's in ,he looks very hansome to me.
Does he look even better in other photo's? sorry i'm not good with big words. What does " That emphasises the slightly asymetical charactor of his eyes" mean?

May 27, 2007
I always though Boxhall was the best looking really. There's a photo of him in his white summer uniform with cap where he looks real chipper and happy that I like. I've seen it on a ton of documentaries. 'Titanic Death Of A Dream' was one. Hence I always think of Boxhall as a nice out going fella with a gift for gab who was popular with passengers and crew. Well that was a misconception I had when I first got into Titanic. Although I haven't really heard anything to debase me of that. I'd like to hear more about Boxhall.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Alyson - I believe the photo is one Moody referred to in a letter dated 3 December 1911, so I would have been taken less than 6 months before he joined the Titanic.

By "asymmetrical eyes", I mean they are not entirely the same...his eyes are slightly different shapes, with one being a bit more hooded than the other. The light catches it in such a way in that photo as to make them seem even more different - it also seems to give his eyebrow on that side of the face a rather curious lift towards the centre, which is not seen on full frontal, well lit photographs.

Boxhall was indeed a good looking man, George - my favourite photograph of him is a rather faded image taken during WWI on, I think, one of his torpedo boats. It is a more candid shot than the formal portraits, and shows him looking relaxed with a white scarf knotted around his neck. Sometimes in formal portraits as a young man he gets a lift to his head that can make him look slightly aloof.

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
Inger,

Nice to see you back posting so much. I know it's a what one has for time type of situation, I'm sure most of us go through periods of such. May I be so bold as to call you the "Dean of the Deck Crew" you seem to have a lot of knowledge about those officers, based I'd assume on your years of work starting with Officer Lowe. Just appreciate your touch of being able to add more depth and color to such talk. Not to take away from the many others who contribute a lot of information as well,(in that regard we have a whole site of "Deans") just more of a tip of the hat. Or an officer's salute!

A

Alyson Jones

Hallo Alyson - I believe the photo is one Moody referred to in a letter dated 3 December 1911, so I would have been taken less than 6 months before he joined the Titanic.

Thanks Inger. Now i know what he look like when he boaded the Titanic.
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
That's very kind of you to say so, Tom!

Work and personal committments mean my posting time waxes and wanes as it does for so many of us. I do try to read the board even when I'm not posting, but only contribute when I think I have something to add to the discussion (or if there's some entertaining ballyhoeing going on).

May 27, 2007
quote:

or if there's some entertaining ballyhoeing going on
We can always use a bit more of that.
wink.gif
Like you Inger I like a bit of ballyhooing and where there is ballyhooing you'll usually find me.
happy.gif

Regarding Boxhall, the photo I like of him is a portrait of him in a white or (Summer?) uniform where he has a bit of a smile on his fave. I think that the only photo I've seen of him smiling. Or any Officer of that era for that matter. As I said before he looks like a nice fella with a sense of humor about him.​

Toma

Dec 17, 2018
Hi guys! I see you talking about the pictures of James Moody. l think some of you have seen a lot of pictures of Jim. And I know a few of his photos, but I would like to see more. Where can I find it? Maybe someone will throw your photos here?