James Paul Moody

May 27, 2007
quote:

his dad was still alive when the disaster happened.
That's too bad. He apprenticed his son, James to the sea and then to have lost his son to the Sea he apprenticed James to. At least he had the knowledge that his son died while trying to save lives.​

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
He did have a close knit relationship with his brother Christoper and his sister Margaret, Shea - somewhat less so with his oldest brother John, as he was living overseas and the two rarely caught up (in one letter to Christopher, John asked him to nudge their brother and tell him to drop him a line).

James' beloved mother died on 17th Dec 1899 (I think - would have to check the date), and event that affected him quite deeply for the rest of his life. He tried to write each year on the anniversary to the family member he was staying with at the time of her death, a day he remembered with terrible vividness and wrote about movingly.

His father was still alive at the time of the Titanic sinking, and was in touch with the WSL trying to get definitive word on his son's fate - for many days afterwards he was hopeful that James was among the saved.

To be frank, the decision for James to go to sea really didn't have all that much to do with his father, who by 1903 had largely left the care of his youngest son to other family members.

Reactions: Toma
May 27, 2007
quote:

To be frank, the decision for James to go to sea really didn't have all that much to do with his father, who by 1903 had largely left the care of his youngest son to other family members.
Well that puts a different spin on events. I wonder what Mr. Moody thought then about his son being apprenticed to be a Sailor?​

A

Allysha James

HI!

where was Moody location of address when he sailed on the Titanic?
One report mentioned that he moved to Belfast,make it easier for him in traveling to the ships port home,now is this true? Moody was living in Belfast at the time of the Titanic voyage?

Thank you

A

Allysha James

OK,don't understand this above^.
I need to know,doing a project on the crew members mainly Moody (cause Moody is less documented than others,don't know why this is the cause)
I was in England for a short while & just learnt about the Titanic story (interesting story) left England before I had a chance to explore,so I decided to get real help from english persons,or any one that knows a thing or two or correct answers.

I would like to know The question above in my first posting & this question: What did Moody's ralitives do during wwII?

I do know for fact that Lightoller's two sons died during wwII,but nothing about Moody's family,nor,I have not yet checked the other officers family information just as yet.

There's something else as well,I wish too know.I also heard this,John (Moody's brother) lived overseas before he came back too fight in ww-one,what country was he living in?
I am not too sure, if this is correct infomation,as for,it never came form 1st hand Titanic resources.

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi All
I have asked this question before but have had no responce. So could anyone out there tell me where in Scarborough James Moody lived what was his address in Scarborough.
Regards Norm

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Michael

Thanks for the Grimsby address but that is common knowledge and as you point out can be found in ET. What I am interested in is his home address where he lived in Scarborough the place of his birth.

Regards Norm

Sheila Dixon

Jun 27, 2009
Hi Norm

In 1891, 3 year old James was living with the rest of the Moody family at 17 Granville Road, Scarborough. In 1901 they were living in North Lane, Cayton, Scarborough and in 1911 he was lodging at 37 Locksley Street, Limehouse, London.

His birth certificate will show the address where he was born and can be ordered online at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp. You'll need to quote his place and date of birth (see elsewhere on ET). The cost is £9.24.

Regards
Sheila Dixon

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Sheila

Thanks for the info it is great but where did you find it out i live in Scarborough and could not find this info.

Regards Norm

Sheila Dixon

Jun 27, 2009
"Thanks for the info"

You're very welcome.

"where did you find it out i live in Scarborough and could not find this info."

It's taken from the census - the clue is in the dates 1891, 1901, 1911. The info is readily available on one of several subscription websites or if you call in at the library on Vernon Road, you can see the 1891 and 1901 census for free. The staff are very helpful and whilst you're there you might want to check out some of the local trade directories. Using the alphabetical sections, you'll probably be able to track the Moodys' addresses between census years.