James Paul Moody

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Sheila again

Double thanks for the info. I of course should have realised by the dates where the info had come from. I did try the census at the library but could not read it nor i have to say were the staff on the day i visited it very helpful. Anyway i have sent off for Moody's birth certificate as you suggested so i should have a complete picture of his movements soon. If you would like i could post the details of his birth certificate when i get them. PS do you live in SCarborough?

Regards Norm

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Norman - he was born at the Granville Road address on the South Cliff, as you'll see when you get his birth certificate.

The family moved around a bit after the death of his mother and his immediate address before staying with London relatives (in Fulham, I think, off the top of my head - I'd have to check) prior to being sent to HMS "Conway" was the Cayton address.

The Locksley Street address in London was only for a very brief period of time while he was studying for his Master's certification.

The St James House address in Grimsby is a bit misleading - he did use that as his shore address for official documents and did visit his Aunt there, but it seems that he had set up a shore establishment in Grimsby with his brother towards the end of his life.

In later years he did visit an uncle still living in Scarborough.

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Inger
Thanks for the info. I am going today to have a look at his Scarborough/Cayton addresses if they still exist. I wonder why they moved to North Lane Cayton it would have been a very rural location in the early 20th century. A complete change from posh Granville Road. I had already discovered that the Grimsby address was a bit of a red herring. I have seen his address in Grimsby 136 Fildes Street.

Kind Regards Norm

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Inger

You may be right but i am not so sure unless of course you have real evidence that the family was in financial difficulties. The family seems to have been quite well off i wonder if it was more to do with Mrs Moody's health that they moved to the country. She became ill as i understand it not long after James was born Granville Road was a very fashionable area but quite densely populated and judging by the amount of chimney pots in the area would have been quite polluted in winter. Also the house in north lane was almost a small mansion. Moreover as Mr Moody worked in town he would have had to travel which would not have been cheap in those days. Plus of course at Granville Road there was nowhere for the children to play at Cayton there was loads of safe places to play out. I myself used to play there in the 60s before the new houses were built in those days there only where the two large houses on north lane i of course did not remember this but i got talking to a resident who told me and i do remember the new estate being built in the late 60s early 70s. Also Inger while we are talking do you know the location in Scarborough of Roseberry House School where James went to school.

Regards Norm

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Norm -

Yes, I do have evidence of the family's financial situation, and I can tell you categorically that this is the reason for the move. I haven't published my research in this area, but they were living in much reduced circumstances by the time they moved to Cayton (which was after James's mother passed away). I did look up the Rosebery House school address and seem to recall the building itself is still standing - I think I photographed it - but the images are filed with the rest of my papers, not with me at my current address (I just moved recently).

Cheers -

Inger

NORMAN MURPHY

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Ingar
I should have realised his mother had passed away before the move to Cayton silly mistake and thanks for putting me right. As for the families reduced circumstances by 1901 i wonder if it had anything to do with the restructuring of the council which took place in 1901. Anyway many thanks and if you have time could you let me know where exactly his school is situated as i would like to take a look

Regards Norm

A

aly jones

I hope to assist you in why the moody's living conditions declined,norman/ inger.

My family's standard of living downsized dramatically from having nearly owned our & home,starting up our own chauffeur business & having money in the bank; basically,on our way to being high society business people. My father,who was the bread winner of the family,suffered a devastating illness; pancreatic issues & gall stones,which meant no income for one half years as he had no sick pay.sadly,our living conditions declined as my father lost the
Chauffeur business & we resorted in renting a house.

In looking at the moody family situaton,I see two issues:

A- henry moody fell seriously ill & could no longer afford a lavish life style.

B- the moody legal business had a few years of poor success.

After five long years my family was finally clawing to our old lifestyle but we would never be the same again. Despite the moody family having more financial experience than ours,we both ended up in the same situation.there is no other explanation that I can think of; why a well to do family would decline so dramatically in ten years? After much thought, I put two & two together; my family & the moody family had so much in common,it makes sense as to why the moodys fell so fast in a relatively short time.

Member,Inger, said it herself posted on Tuesday august 17th,2010

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
I didn't know Aaron was ill.

Great show. Sue Ellen. The poison dwarf.

But Pammy... in her day, mind you.

'Course they all fell to the moody change of time.

Not that bad a place to live, in retrospect. Lot of pool action and lingering towel-drying as I recall. (Hey, love, you missed a speck on your shoulder!)

Bet it's bracing in Scarborough at this time of t'year.

A

aly jones

Where to begin? It is not nice to laugh & sigh at other people's misfortunes.

H

hydi j

Howza guys!

I need 100% "right" details on J.P Moody,please.

My friend from work is an artist (in her spare time) I had ordered a painting from her of J.P Moody,unfortunately,the only image(s) I have of him is in B 'AN' W - I am after a coloured painting you see
happy.gif

The details I need are,if possible please-

His hair colour?
His eye colour?
His skin tone colour?
His eye lashes- long /short?

An the uniform he was wearing!
Dark Navy Blue or Black?
(the image was before Titanic) ;)

Any one that can assist me,thank you so very much
happy.gif

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
I have been considering writing JP Moody into the final chapter of Totes Meer as a sub-protagonist; going/being ordered below decks with some volunteers to ensure all the Third Class women & children know where to go to be evacuated, doing so for a short time, and then dying a hero's death below.

I'd just like to know what people reckon of that as well as a few details. Eg., Where and when was he last seen?

Laura Jay

Dec 3, 2012
New England, USA
It's a interesting-when I read about the characteristics of the officers, I can see some of them in my own family. My dad's like Lowe, very self-contained and a disciplinarian, my big brother's like Moody, he has a sense of adventure and is really funny, and my little brother is like Boxhall-quiet and determined.
I'm like Lights, lively and I love to tell a story.
What else did Moody do on his earlier sailing days-I mean aside from going down mine shafts, etc. I always wonder at what adventures he must have had.