James William Cheetham Witter

dominicwitter

Apr 6, 2010
Extract taken from 1956 BBC programme FIRST HAND:2: THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC" of which James Witter appears on film along with other survivors.2nd Class Smoke Room Steward James Witter was asked for his recollections of the impact: "I didn't think she'd hit anything, I thought she'd dropped a blade, from the propeller, you know ... I went down to the working alleyway where my cabin is, No.7 gloryhole and I was standing there talking to two or three fellows and the carpenter came along and I heard him say, "The bloody mailroom is full of water!" "I said, whats that, mailroom full of water?" "Yes" I said "what about bulkhead doors forward?" "He said, "They're not holding, Jim." Of course, by then I walked into my cabin, No.7 glory hole and I opened my box, I called everybody, I said, "Come along fellows, get up she's going down." So, I opened my box, took out some matches and some cigarettes and I said "Come on fellows." "What the hell are you talking about?" He said, "Get out of here" and someone threw a boot at me. I said, "Goodnight, gentleman."

AURktman

Aug 31, 2019
I think you have a few too many "great" in there. If it were 20 years per generation, that would mean you would be born in about 40 years. Maybe great-great Grandfather. If so, do you have any information about him? That would be great!