James William Smith

Mark Rogers

Mar 31, 2018
Having researched my family free as far back as the 1800s, there are certain links to James William Smith, though I'm unable to match the parent names that you have mentioned here, and I would be extremely interested if you have any certification to prove that Alice Jane Sykes was in fact his mother. A member of my family is convinced that her mother mentioned James and the fact that he lost his life at a very young age and that he may have been working on Titanic.

Gavin Bell

Dec 12, 1999
The census records and the published obituary for James William Smith states that his mother was Alice. It's very much indisputable that his mother was Alice, formerly Sykes. Perhaps your relative aboard Titanic was another person named Smith............

Mark Rogers

Mar 31, 2018
I've since joined the Ancestry.co.uk website and though some of this information checks out, I'm still not convinced that everything is correct, and though I'm unable to connect my James Smith to the Titanic, I'm still pretty sure he may have been on the ship, from conversations I've had with older members of my family.