1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jenny The Titanic Cat

Discussion in 'Animals on the Titanic' started by Beverly J. Crowder, Aug 18, 2001.

1. George Behe

George Behe Guest

Beverly wrote:

>LOL!!!You almost make them sound cuddly Were the >rats also restless, really???

Hi, Beverly!

Jack Podesta described how (on April 13th) he and a mate took a break from firing their boilers and were standing beside one of the watertight doors. They happened to glance forward and saw half-a-dozen rats scurrying toward them from the area where the collision would later occur; the two men kicked out at the rodents as they passed beside their feet. Podesta didn't think anything of the incident at the time, but he later expressed the opinion that "it is true that they can smell danger."

Kate Gilnagh told Walter Lord that a rat scurried across the floor on the night of April 14th and disturbed a party that was taking place in steerage.

All I can say is that -- regardless of the *true* cause of these incidents -- behavior like this is very atypical of rats (and I know whereof I speak.) :)

>Were ever did you dig up that piece of >information??? Incredible!!

It's in the latest issue of "Rat Monthly." ;-)

(Podesta related his own info in an interview he gave in Southampton in the 1960s, and the Gilnagh info came from ANTR.)

All my best,

George

2. Tracy Smith

Tracy Smith Member

I've heard that animals will begin acting strangely in places where an earthquake is soon to occur.....

3. George Behe

George Behe Guest

Hi, Tracy!

If I recall correctly, organisms that behave strangely prior to earthquakes are thought to be reacting to subsonic vibrations that are too low in frequency to be detected by human beings. (I don't know if that explanation has been proved beyond all shadow of doubt, though.)

All my best,

George

4. Mike Herbold

Mike Herbold Member

George and Tracy:
    Greetings from earthquake country. Haven't had a rat for a pet since I was a kid oh these many moons ago, but can tell you for a fact that our cats and dogs have often exhibited bizarre behavior before a quake. They'll start running around in circles, or run into a corner and perk up.

I remember reading of serious studies of unusual animal behavior before quakes in the hopes of using it to provide an earthquake early warning, and it seems that every time we have a big one a story comes out after the fact that cats, dogs, horses, and other animals had been acting queerly. But personally, having been through dozens of quakes over the years, I'd just as soon have no prior warning. The anticipation is often worse than the real event.

To get back to the Titanic story, if nobody paid any attention to the ice warnings themselves, I doubt they would have changed course or speed based on the say so of some rats.