Jessie Leitch's relation to Rev Harper

mary mason

Aug 24, 2003
is there anyone who can put me out of my misery and tell me what relation Jessie leitch is to rev John Harper? i have read both that she was his sister in law and that she was his niece.
Jessie wasn't married and John Harpers wife maiden name was Bell. so she wasn't his sister in law. none of Rev Harpers sisters married a Mr Leitch to my knowledge, so the only way she could be his neice is if she the daughter of a sibling of his late wife?
or was she not related to him at all?

Apr 27, 2003
Mary - I think she was his niece all the 1912 newspaper reports said so.
See her printout out below and then note the name Jessie Wills in the Probate report also below.

LEITCH, MISS JESSIE WILLS. Saved in Lifeboat number 11. 3, Claud Villa, Denmark Hill, London, SE. UK. Niece of Reverend J. Harper. Returned to England per SS Celtic 25th April 1912. Aged 30 years. Later became Mrs. Anderson.
Died 6th February 1963, Llanidlses, North Wales.
(Travelling with Rev. Harper - niece).
(From The Bristol Times and Mirror, April 27th, 1912).
Miss Jessie Leitch, of London, a second class passenger came ashore with the six-months infant of her cousin, the Rev. John Harper, of London, who was drowned. Mr. Harper handed the child to her, kissed the little one goodbye, and remained to perish. Miss Leitch wrapped the child in her own clothing, and stoically endured the cold until help came.

Probate report: Harper, Reverend John, of 3 Claude Villas, Love Walk, Denmark Hill, Surrey. Probate registered London 4th July 1912, to Jessie Wills spinster, Charles Livingstone sett maker and Harry Meikle, Baptist Minister. Effects £902.0.5.d
Wife died in childbirth (daughter Nina).
(Niece Jessie Leitch)

mary mason

Aug 24, 2003
thankyou Brian, that has cleared it up. i just have a couple more questions, i hope nobody minds me asking them.
does anyone know the names of Jessies parents?
does anyone know who took care of Nina, after her fathers death?
thanks in advance

Emilie Forest

Jan 28, 2004
Does someone know if Miss Nina Harper, child of Rev. John Harper was six months or six years old? Re: Subject {Titanic} passenger search. Re: Miss Nina Harper.
It is said at the end of the article, :"I beleive that the well known photograph of the Titanic's second class boat deck in which a young girl holding her father's hand is young Nina Harper. This is only a speculation on my part but it is a possibility."It is also mentionned in the same article that Mrs Harper had died three years previously.
Meanwhile I read in the article from"The Bristol Times and Mirror"April, 27th, 1912 that Miss Jessie Leitch came ashore with the six-months infant of her cousin, the Rev. John Harper. ? I Did Rev. Harper have two children? I do not think so.So was her daughter six months or six years old? There is a big difference between those two ages and do you know how many young children were on the Titanic? 1st class? second class? and third class? Thank you from the french Titanic fan.

mary mason

Aug 24, 2003
Emilie, the six months was a typo, Nina was born on 1 Jan 1906. i believe that her mother died a few days after her birth, someone told me she died on 8 jan 1906 but that is only what they told me so i cant take it as fact.

Emilie Forest

Jan 28, 2004
Thank you Mary, I think it is a very young age for such a long trip but I must not forget rev. Harper's niece was with him, probably to help him with the infant. What do you think?

Emilie Forest

Jan 28, 2004
Mary, if Nina Harper was born on Jan. 1906 then she must have been six years old on the Titanic and it is possible she was the young girl on the photo, who knows....

mary mason

Aug 24, 2003
yes i think, Jessie was their to help with little Nina. i believe the two main candidates for the little girl in the boat deck photo are 6 year old nina harper, and 7 year old eva hart.