Job when leaving Southampton

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thanks for that input, Sam - Marcus is possibly the first of the secondary sources to place Lowe in that location on casting off (others, I think, have done it besides Marcus and Stenson - I've followed their lead lead in the past), and your suggestion regarding the compass platform provides a reasonable resolution.

Private Information is that frustrating note by Marcus - in some instances I've been able to trace it (one of his PI sources was Lowe's affidavit). In this case I'm guessing it might have been Boxhall who provided the information, although one of his other WSL or piloting contacts might have done it as well. It's a pity that he didn't directly cite his source, though - Boxhall is among those acknowledged for his assistance, and I don't see anything controversial in disclosing this information.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Hi Inger.

I agree. The words "private information" is a bit frustrating. You can only hope that the source was truly reliable. At least Marcus' book was very well referenced with all those endnotes.

I failed to mention in my post above that information about the positions of the engineers down in the engine room that I said came from my research article that was noted was given to me by Mark Chirnside who had access to primary source information about Olympic. Some other details in that particular article came from Scott Andrews. Both these gentlemen were acknowledged in that article for their contributions and for there review of my work before it was posted.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I spent ages looking for Marcus' notes this year for my book and I can only conclude that they no longer exist.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I had a hunt for them a few years ago, James, and came only to dead ends. I have found traces of his work here and there - like some of the letters he wrote while researching The Maiden Voyage (it was particularly interesting to read his comments on discussions he'd had with Boxhall - for example, they talked about the Rappahannock story). I never give up hope, though - you never know where documents will come up. I've heard rumours before about important Titanic researchers of previous generations leaving their papers to particular individuals, so we can only hope that some of this painstakingly acquired primary source material is still extant.