John Clifford

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
My interest in Titanic began sometime in the mid-1970s, when I found an old paperback copy of "A Night to Remember", and I was sad to see the image of the ship sinking, more so when learning it was her first voyage.
Shortly thereafter, NBC showed the 1958 film on a Sunday afternoon, and I knew Titanic made a lasting impression on me.
I also studied other ship disasters, yet only Titanic has truly affected me.

My interest waned in the late 70s/early 80s, though I followed the stories about Jack Grimm's 1980 expedition.
Then I remember hearing, on September 1st, the first report of Titanic's discovery. This was on the CBS Sunday Night News, and was the second to last story. The next day, our ship made the headlines. I was amazed at how much I remembered from my earlier readings of the story.
After that my interest continued to build, especially after I read Lynch & Marschall's "Titanic: An Illustrated History".

I joined the Titanic Historical Society in 1995, and was able to attend the Saturday Banquet at the Convention at the Queen Mary (I had not signed up, but stopped by on Saturday). There I met survivor Millvina Dean, and the various notables for the first time.
I, since, have attended all the 1996 - 2000 Conventions, paticipated in three Heritage Tours, was part of a 1997 QE2 Excursion, visited various Titanic sites in New York, Washington DC, London, Belfast, Cobh, and Southampton, and visited the graves of various survivors and victims, including a visit to the three cemeteries in Halifax.

I also have purchased various Titanic books, paintings, calendars, postcards (my room can be called "The Titanic Room"), even installed a Titanic screen saver on my computer at work, as well as four other computers. My friends and coworkers refer to me as "the resident expert on Titanic", and calendar images of Ken Marschall's "Au Revoir to the Old World" and "The Millionaire's Special" are the first things people often see when they enter my office (my cubicle is by one of the entrances).

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Welcome aboard, mate.
You forgot to mention how you always organize monthly outings for us in Southern California, usually at the Queen Mary. I posted the upcoming October 1st meeting in the General Titanic Questions section.

Sep 12, 2000
Hi John.
It is great to have you here. The posting that Mike placed on the board states that you have pictures. It is wonderful that you travel and share photos. Thanks.

I think that my screen saver is also a titanic scene as well....it is pipes being erected everywhere and it came with my computer.....it must be the engine room. (he he)

I am fairly new to all of this. Where is the titanic site in DC?
Hope to see more of you here out on the postings.
Maureen.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
1026.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist it John

Mar 20, 2000
Well, John,

Great to read about - & see - ya, thanks to Phil whom I hope you won't injur unduly for showing us all your "mug."

Randy

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Now we need to let Phil post the various pictures from Titanic 2000. Included are some great pictures of him; and their "1,000X" better than that picture of me.
;-)

K

Katie Rosen

John,

I got your letter about The Nomadic. I'm sorry to say your letter has been sitting in my "to do" pile all summer. What's the status on your project? You've still got my email, let me know what's going on!

Sorry I've been so out of touch but the backyard has a strong pull to this stay at home mom with 3 kids on summer vacation!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Katie

D

Deleted member 173198

John,

If the minutes are available could you please make contact on my old e-mail server, which I have now set up to discuss your unexpected tour journey down to Southampton.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.