John Collins

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I have been trying to gather important information on JOHN COLLINS, the 17-year old scullion on board the Titanic. As we know, Collins was one of the last survivors to leave the doomed ship. He later served in World War I. I would like info on his was record, particularly details of his internment as a POW in Germany. It appears that there he met a fellow allied prisoner named Woods who befriended him and with whom Collins discussed his Titanic experiences. I am trying to find out WHERE and for HOW LONG Collins was a POW and whether there is likely to be a list of other Allied/British POWs with him in the same camp. This info has an important follow-up.

H

Holly Peterson

Hi! I'm new to this thread and very interested in the children and teens of the Titanic, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a picture of the youngest Crew survivor, Mr. John Collins. I have a biography of him on my website, www.freewebs.com/titanic-children but cannot seem to find a picture of him around the age when he was on Titanic. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. My name is Alzbeta, not Holly

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
A circa-1912 pic of Collins was published in Steven Cameron's book "Belfast's Own," that would be your best obtainable bet. Perhaps harder to locate is a group shot of Collins and other surviving stewards whilst returning to England aboard Celtic after the U.S. Inquiries. I know this photo ran in THS's "Titanic Commutator," but I'm not certain which issue. Additionally, a photo of Collins in his 20s is on his Merchant Mariner's card, which at one point was contained on a CD-ROM produced by the Public Records Office.

H

Holly Peterson

Thank you Chris. You are certainly an avid researcher; I had no idea such photos existed. Do you think you could post them on this thread for me? Don't worry about legal issues or anything; I'm not going to put the photos in a published book. I merely collect them for fun and want to put them in my scrapbook. It's okay if you feel unwilling to post the photos on the internet.

Thank you so much,
Alzbeta

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Alzbeta, the law of copyright applies to the internet as well as to books. So material which is under copyright can't be posted here without permission from the copyright holder, even though we obviously don't have commercial motives.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I have been trying to get some information on John Collins, the (then) 17 year old victualling assistant who was one of the last survivors to leave the Titanic and eventually ended up on the overturned Collapsible B lifeboat. A few years later, he ended up as a POW in Germany during the First World War. I want to find out where in Germany he was imprisoned and some details on the other inmates of that POW camp. Can anyone help with suggestions or information? Thanks in anticipation.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing Mr. Collins. MAB]

Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
Hi Arun

Ancestry has some WW1 service records, although many service records were destroyed in the Blitz during WW2. You may be lucky to find his records on there. Should any survive they should list details of any POW camp John was held at. I was lucky to find the record of one of my relatives and it was quite detailed with dates and places. I went to Kew in London where the originals are held. Message me if you need some help with this
happy.gif

Good luck.

marius mckee

Sep 15, 2010
I am John Collin's grandson. His daughter Mary (my mother) lives in Spain. We have a few photographs of him from the 1920's and 30's. I would be very interested in any more information about him, he died 14 years before I was born. [email protected]

michael

May 14, 2011
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to ask if it has been determined (or at least speculated) as to the identity of the woman and her two children whom John Collins tried to help (where one of the children was eventually washed out of his arms)?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in an unrelated topic, has been moved to the pre-existing thread discussing the same crew member. JDT]