John Edward Puzey

Jenna Hoff

Feb 9, 2018
You have no idea how much this means to me to read this. Mary Selina, who went by May, was my Great Grandma. (Married name was May Horne.). According to family lore, May worked as the maid to the lady in waiting of Queen Victoria.As May's brother, John Edward Puzey was therefore my great great uncle. All my life I never knew the names of my great great grandparents, my great great grandmother's maiden name, or where in England they were from and when they married. To even find out that my great grandfather was a marine fireman is so exciting, as is learning the church of baptism. I googled the church and it gave me the shivers to see a photo of it all these years later. To whoever wrote this information, please accept the most heartfelt thanks of me and my family.

Daniel Puzey

Jan 7, 2018
Hi. Guess we are related. Because John Edward Puzey is my great great grandfather. Grandfather to my grandfather John Puzey who passed away couple years ago.

Fred Davey

Jan 28, 2018
Hi Daniel, my grandma was Catherine Alice Midred Puzey and sister of John Edward Puzey who was my great uncle.

Fred Davey

Jan 28, 2018
Hi Jenna, we are related. My grandma Catherine Alice Mildred Puzey was sister to your great grandma May Selina. Did you know May & her husband emigrated to Canada. I have a lot of info regarding the Puzey family, I have got the family bible. Please get in touch, it would be lovely to pass family info. Regards Fred

Jenna Hoff

Feb 9, 2018
Hi Fred and Daniel! It's so great to connect with you! That is really neat that you have the family Bible Fred. I'd love to learn more.

I did know that May emigrated to Canada. I think she came over on a ship about 1908 ish with her young daughter Dorris. She settled in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (where i currently live). At the time she was a single mother, we think her husband may have died in England in a fire but that is not confirmed. Message continued below...

Jenna Hoff

Feb 9, 2018
Part 2 : She worked at the Strathcona Hotel but then answered an add for a housekeeper for a widower named George who had 2 sons. They fell in love, married, and had at least 3 more children including my grandpa Herbert Horne, and Lillian and Archie (later known as Bob). They would say they had "His kids, Her kids, and Our kids."

Jenna Hoff

Feb 9, 2018
part 3: Herbert was born in Pocahontas Alberta, the first non-indigenous baby born in the area. The local indigenous people danced around the cabin the night he was born. Herbert married my Grandma, Frances Horne (now 102 years old) and they had 3 daughters- Sherry (1948), Maureen (1954), and Barbara (1954- died at birth).

I'd love to connect more with you. Please feel free to look me up on facebook as Jenna Schentag Hoff or email me at [email protected]

Jenna Hoff

Feb 9, 2018
Part 4: Did your grandma Catherine Alice Mildred go by name Millie? My Grandma Frances Horne (married to May's son Herbert) was dear friends with one of Herbert's cousins, called Millie. Millie visited her in Canada & Frances went to England in 1989 to visit Millie. They exchanged letters for decades- then about 15 or 20 yrs ago the letters stopped. Grandma was so sad and guessed Mille had passed away or been moved into a care home. I tried unsuccessfully to contact her family.

Jenna Hoff

Feb 9, 2018
Part 5: Anyway, I am looking forward to connecting more with you. Stretching my memory back a couple decades, I am pretty sure I remember my Grandma telling me about Millie's son or grandson named Fred (I'm guessing you?) and staying with all of you when she was in England in the 80's. Grandma will be overjoyed when I tell her we've connected! She has talked many many times about her English relatives and how much she loves you all.