John Jacob Astor

D

Drew Adams

hi there
i would like to know as much about jj astor as possible,
also,what happened to his wife,madelain,and his son..
what also happened to the rest of his family,
thanks for your help

G

Glenn Miller

I'm suprised no one has answered your question... Regarding Mrs Astor, recall that their marrage wasn't exactly without scandle. JJ Astor's family was money and businss first, love and family second. After his death she was given money and use of his apartments upon condition that she never married. Their son was born in August of 1912. About three years later she gave up the Astor money and married. This marrage ended in divorce and she later married a boxer. That marrage also ended in divorce. She died at 46 in Palm Beach Florida. There is a wonderful book - 'Titanic and Illustrated History' co-written by Ken Marshall that touches on the Astor's lives before and after April 15, 1912.

B

Bob Cruise

Need some feedback:

I would like to lay flowers at the front gate of the Astors' Newport residence at precisely 2:20 am EDT 4/15/01, not just in remembrance of John Jacob, but also in memoriam of all the other passengers who perished aboard the RMS Titanic 89 years ago.

Is this idea too schmaltzy? Should I give it up?

Or should I simply follow through because the tragedy deserves commemoration of some sort?

Bob

P.S. I have no plans to leave my name or identity.

May 12, 2005
Bob,

I wouldn't criticize your idea as schmaltzy but it might be ill-advised just the same. I'm thinking a middle-of-the-night drop-off (even of flowers) might be greeted by the flashlights of security guards or, worse, the barks of guard dogs.

Since you have indicated an interest in commemorating the lives of all lost on Titanic, a more appropriate locale for leaving flowers might be the Straus memorial or one of the others in NY. These are at least public places (with a clearer connection to Titanic) and so would not draw suspicion.

All my best,

Randy

B

Bob Cruise

Hold on, Randy!

I wasn't thinking of trespassing.

No.

I'm staying in Newport over the weekend. Since my dad's house is right around the corner from "Beechwood", I was thinking of taking a late night stroll over to Bellevue Avenue and leaving the flowers at the front gate. Believe me - I would never think of entering the property after hours. (I have visited during the day before and seen the actors in period costume - very enjoyable.)

I also plan on taking a walk down to the beach and doing a little contemplating there as I look out over the ocean.

Does anybody know if there will be a moon of any sort?

Bob

May 12, 2005
Bob,

You didn't mention you were staying in the neighborhood already. That would make a difference, wouldn't it, having a relative as a nearby resident?

It has also occured to me, why don't you call Beechwood and ask if it will be all right to leave your flowers.

Good luck,

Randy

Apr 20, 2010
Not sure if this has ever been mentioned before but i found some interesting information about John Jacob Astor. And have a few questions
I can find my source if needed. I came accross information on rootsweb when i was searching to see if i had family connections to titanic.

J.J. Astor went to harvard. Developed the bicycle break. Was a member of Elwood Temple Congregational Church. Heres where my question will come from. J. J. Astor was sued for 30k right before honeymoon by family of Eugene P. McCrohan Who was killed at beechwood while repairing telephone wires touched electric wires and was killed instantly.

My question is since this happened shortly before titanic. Anyone have any idea what became of this court case. Did Astor ever have to pay the family.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
J. J. Astor was sued for 30k right before honeymoon

Hello, Christina---

It was actually on the day he and Madeline Force were married, 9 September 1911. The New York Times's report of service of the complaint appears here and its article about McCrohan's death has just been added here.

I have no information about how the suit turned out.

Hanco Bol

Nov 2, 2008
Hi,

I have a Culumbia Portrait Co. (Chicago) tintype photo.

On the back is written John Jacob Astor and according to the man I bought the photo from it is JJ Astor IV.

Does anybody know if this is indeed JJ Astor IV? I hope somebody could advice. Thank you in advance.

239823.jpg
239824.jpg

Hanco Bol

Nov 2, 2008
Doe somebody have any idea if the Columbia Portrait Company photo above might be of John Jacob Aster IV? I did quite some research on the web, but still do not have any idea.

Thank you in advance.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Can anyone point me to the source of John Jacob Astor being in the gymnasium cutting open the lifebelt?

Thanks!

Kas01

May 24, 2018
I think it was from A Night To Remember. It's not in the statement the family spokesman put out following the wreck, and Madeleine never testified or submitted an affidavit during the Senate inquiry.

Kas01

May 24, 2018
I honestly don't know. There's a brief mention by Dick Bishop of seeing the Astors on A Deck before they left in the Senate inquiry, but Helen Bishop didn't mention where they were in her testimony. COL Gracie didn't mention seeing either COL Astor or Madeleine before helping with loading Boat 4. Mary E. Smith said via affidavit that she was in the gymnasium at one point, and spoke with a couple, but she never said who that was. Eleanor Widener only testified on if the crew was under the influence, and I don't think Marian Thayer testified at all.

Reactions: B-rad