John Law Hume

Daniel Stern

Aug 1, 2006
Hi everyone,

I am doing some research on John Law Hume (aka Jock Hume), violinist on the Titanic, and was wondering if anyone knew where I might find
specifics out about Jock Hume's life prior to Titanic. For example, I know he played on the Anchor Line's TSS California, but I am trying to
find out, if at all possible, specific dates he was on board that ship. I also am looking for any other biographical information available
about him. There was a little bit of information in "Sinking of the Titanic - Eyewitness Accounts" by Jay Henry Mowbray, but not much at all. Has anyone written a comprehensive biography on him? Are the
records from his employer (CW and FN Black) still around? Any and all leads would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Daniel Stern

Jonesy

Mar 18, 2019
Good day,

I recently read a quite interesting book on John Law Hume who served as one of the musicians onboard RMS Titanic and perished with the ship. During the latter part of the book, it is stated that John's father later received a bill from the White Star Line requesting payment for the uniform his son had worn as it was owned by the company. The book didn't mention if the father agreed to pay that ridiculous bill. Can someone shed some light on that issue? Much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I would say Jock's father had bigger things on his mind at the time than covering the fees for Jock's uniform. At the time Jock's fiance (Mary) who he planned to marry upon his return was fighting Jock's father about their soon to be born daughter. They had a lengthy court battle called the "Titanic Fund Case".

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
During the latter part of the book, it is stated that John's father later received a bill from the White Star Line requesting payment for the uniform his son had worn as it was owned by the company.

The bill was not from the White Star Line but from the company where the musicians were employed which was C.W. and F.N. Black from Liverpool.

Reactions: 1 users

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
The bill was not from the White Star Line but from the company where the musicians were employed which was C.W. and F.N. Black from Liverpool.
That's right. apparently, that company had just revoked the facility of paying uniform allowances to their musicians and John Hume was probably already paid that when he sailed on the Titanic.

A copy of that short, terse letter is here on Jock Hume's ET bio. No condolences or even a single expression of sympathy to a father who had just lost his 21-year-old son in a shipwreck. Seemed like a singularly heartless thing to do.

Such things make me wonder if the so called "Good old days" were really good old days or something else altogether.

Last edited: