Joseph and Madeline Finn Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2008
I'm looking for information on Joseph and Madeline (Finn) Drummond. Married in Phila., Pa., Sept. 1, 1934, they spent their honeymoon on the Moro Castle.

They both survived. Madeline (Finn) Drummond, was born and raised in Pottstown, Pa., so the Pottstown Mercury on Sept. 9, 1934 reported "Former Resident and Hubby Saved" and that on Sept. 8 they were resting side by side in beds in St. Vincent's Hospital in New York City laughing about their harrowing experience.

Any help on this topic will be sincerely appreciated.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Mrs. Claire M. Finn Drummond. 28. Cabin 312. 3450 F. Street, Philadelphia, PA. C/o Texas Transport and Terminal Co., 411 Bourse Building, Philadelphia, PA. The Drummonds were married September 1, 1934 at St. Francis de Sales Church in Philadelphia. “It seems so terrible to think they might be lost so soon after they were married. We were looking forward so much to seeing them and talking about their trip. They had such a beautiful wedding, and breakfast afterward at the Hotel Normandy. When they went away, they looked like the happiest couple in the world.” Marie Finn, Claire Drummond’s sister.

Mr. Joseph A. Drummond. 31. Cabin 312. 3450 F. Street, Philadelphia, PA. C/o Texas Transport and Terminal Co., 411 Bourse Building, Philadelphia, PA. A book keeper with the Charles Lennig Chemical manufacturing Company, Philadelphia. Sent his father a postcard reading “Having a swell time in Havana.”

The Drummonds were married in Philadelphia the morning the Morro Castle sailed; after the ceremony and a small reception at the Hotel Normandy they traveled by train to NYC for the afternoon departure. Mrs. Drummond went by the name of 'Claire' at least as far as the 1934 papers were concerned.

The Drummonds occupied cabin 312. From this room was later recovered:

312. Mr. James A. Drummond
Mrs. Claire Drummond. Recovered from cabin: Two coins fused together, two coins, rosary beads fused together, several keys in remains of a key case fused together, two masses of fused beads.

Their onboard friends were Mr. and Mrs. James Kennedy, of Queens New York. On the night of the fire, the Drummonds and Ellen Kennedy stayed up late socializing; Mr. Kennedy felt ill and went to bed early.

The Drummonds gave a brief interview after the disaster. They jumped overboard together, and for a time drifted with a Cuban woman who cried for her children. This was almost definitely Julia Rueda, who lost her younger son, Dickie, but whose older son, Benito, survived.

The Drummonds were brought to St. Vincents Hospital in New York City, and admitted, suffering from shock, exposure and exhaustion.

They were not deposed by the FBI. Ellen Kennedy, who broke her neck and back jumping from the ship, WAS deposed, and it is from her account that I know of what the Drummonds spent their last day on board the ship doing.

Might I ask, from your user name, if you might be related to Mrs. Drummond?

Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the information. I'm not related to anybody that was on the Moro Castle. I'm looking for information on Madeline Claire Finn Drummond because of her Pottstown roots, that's where I live. Counting her, there were four women from Pottstown on the Moro Castle--the other three being the Prince sister, Agnes and Ruth, and Evelyn Henricks I've been able to get information on--but Finn is proving to be difficult.

As for Mrs. Drummond using Claire for her first name, the article in the Pottstown Mercury, in the style of the day, always refers to her as Mrs. Drummond or Mrs. Joseph Drummond. The Finn family had seven children of which five were girls, so the clue to her first name was the fact that the paper identifies her twin sister, as Miss Marion Helen Finn of New York City. The federal census returns 1910 and 1920 identify Madeline C. and Marion H. as twin sisters.

When Madeline's mother learned that she was safe she replied "I felt all the time a Finn would not go beneath the water."

Prince Finn is a combination of the names of the three of the four ladies.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Madeline "Claire" Drummond's wedding picture:

133496.jpg

Interesting about the twin sister. I never knew....
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.