Joseph Boxhall Exhibition in Hull

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Last year, a Yorkshire member of this forum - Ian Bland - started the ball rolling on his efforts to acheive a better understanding and appreciation of Joseph Boxhall's life and career. Among his initiatives was sounding out the Maritime Museum in Kingston Upon Hull about the possibility of hosting an exhibition on Boxhall's links with the area. He asked me to sit in on the meeting with museum curator Arthur Credland last year to provide information on Boxhall's background. The Museum was enthusiastic about the idea.

I'm pleased to announce that the exhibition opened yesterday as part of Hull's "Sea Fever 2002" festival, a celebration of the city's maritime heritiage.

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/events/seafever.php

I was able to put the Museum in contact with Boxhall's niece, his closest living relative, and she has been kind enough to loan a number of items connected with her uncle to the exhibition - his telescope, photographs, etc. She also provided a copy of the 1962 BBC interview, which will be used as an audio exhibit.

I've also loaned some material to the exhibition from my own collection, and the Museum has drawn on its own resources.

Boxhall was of course born in Hull, and his family had a long seafaring history in the area. After serving his apprenticeship with a Liverpool company, Boxhall sailed with the same line as his father out of Hull as he gained his certifications.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Yes this is wonderful news! Thank you for the information Inger.

How long is the exhibition going on for?

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Yes, it's good to see the focus on Boxhall! We don't know how long the exhibition will run for at the moment - it's in the main temporary exhibition gallery at the moment, but will be moved to a smaller gallery to make way for an upcoming photographic exhibition.

May 12, 2005
Ing,

Spectacular! I'm so glad to know that the "show" is finally on!

I know this is special for you and I'm sure Boxhall's neice is very proud.

I hope that you can share photos of the exhibition with us here on ET so that those of us not lucky enough to visit can enjoy as well.

Congrats to you and Ian!

Randy