Joseph Francis Akerman

P

Paul Dorey

Akerman J was my great grandfather and I was most surprised when I visited Halifax recently to find that his body had been recovered. We had always assumed he went down with the Ship. It doesn't seem to be noted anywhere that Akerman A who also perished was his brother.

Paul Dorey
Canada

A

Alan Akerman [ grandson ]

Re: Joseph Francis Akerman

it appears the name on the headstone is incorrectly spelt ie Ackerman and not Akerman
Can this be corrected after all this time, I would like to think it could for the benefit of all his grand great grand and great great children and all future generations.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Alan

>>Re: Joseph Francis Akerman<<

I doubt whether the headstone could be amended now. I would not be too concerned; when you get into genealogy you realise that the general academic standard was so poor that names were being spelt wrongly all the time.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Standard spellings even of names are in any case a fairly recent development. Nineteenth century records like census returns and birth certificates often have names spelled at the whim of a particular clerk who needed to record details of people who were themselves illiterate and to whom the question "How do you spell that?" meant nothing.

Mar 8, 2020
William Frank Akerman was my father he was the son of Joseph Francis Akerman and my Mother & Father had 5 children ie Beryl,Brenda,Geoff,Ken and me Gordon