JP Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Micheal Napier

Hey All

I am doing an assignment of Globalisation and I want to use the example of JP Morgan and his transport monopoly as one of my examples. However i cant seem to find much on him on the net. So if u know of any good sites, books, or facts please let me know.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Mike Napier

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'Day Mike, some of the books dealing with the Titanic deal with the formation of the International Mercentile Marine, including Eaton and Haas Titanic; Triumph and Tragedy as well as Wyn Craig Wade's Titanic, Death of a Dream. I don't know how helpful they'll be to you, though Wade's book does an excellent job of explaining the political dynamics of the time...to say nothing of Senator Smith's dislike of J.P. Morgan.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
Ok Guys,

I have a question to ask.
On this game I have - Railroad Tycoon, you have to establish yourself as a railroad baron.

In the game there are several different characters you can be.

One of them has/is the photo of JP Morgan, and his name is also JP Morgan. Do you know if he actually owned or was involved with a railway company or is it a load of rubbish?

Shane

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Shane:
Take a quick look in the Encyclopedia. Morgan was a railroad, steel, and shipping tycoon. To give you an idea of how influential he was, here's a quote from "Morgan the Magnificent," a 1932 book by John K. Winkler. Chapter Eight is entitled "Re-Morganizing The Railroads." The year is 1894, the year after the Panic of 1893 saw hundreds of national and state bank failures. Labor strikes were paralyzing the railroads.

"Upon one man, chiefly, fell the burden of leading in the rehabilitation of the railroads. The gigantic job was Pierpont Morgan's because he was the only man big enough and bold enough to tackle it."
The book goes on to describe how he created the Southern Railway Company, reorganized the Northern Pacific, took control of most of New England with his New Haven line, and on and on and on. He's a very interesting historical figure -- the kind of man who would probably win every game of "Monopoly," "Railroad Tycoon," or whatever other game he played.

J

John G. Moran IV

Michael,
There is the autobiography of J.P. Morgan
written in either 1912 or 1913 the year he died on March 31. It is profoundly accurate as to his career.
Also, he was the famed consolidator of the railroad industry. At one time in American history there were scores upon scores of railroads that caused them to go broke. He consolidated the rails and formed U.s. Steel when the steel started to collapse. Also, financed way out of Panic of 1893.
A fabled Welchman that hated Irish Catholics.
John IV

J

John G. Moran IV

Also, Morgan was born in Connecticut and the story of this man in relation to Titanic is worthy of much discussion.
John Iv

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
Ok here's another question-
In the American elections of 1904, Teddy Roosevelt visited towns by train, to gain support . Apparantly he went on J.P. Morgan's line, and he had to do a good job of it too!
Is this true?

Thanks

Shane

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Shane:
Don't quite understand your question. What do you mean "and he had to do a good job of it too"?

Shane Kurup

Jul 31, 2000
He had to do a good job- stop at at a specified number of towns, or Roosevelt would not be pleased!
:)

Shane

J

Jim Trebowski

just so you know...JP Morgan IS the man on the monopoly game.

Status
Not open for further replies.