Juggernaut

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
This little gem is not very well known. It was released in '74. Some unknown maniac is threatening to blow up a luxury liner, the "Britannic", now in a storm on the high seas with 1200 passengers. He makes his intentions clear by detonating one on the promenade deck, sending deck chairs and a few passengers flying. He is asking for a £500,000 ransom, otherwise the other 6 bombs aboard will explode. An experienced anti-bomb squad is parachuted to the "Britannic", but although all the bombs are located, a very high skill level will be necessary to dismantle them.

One twist is that the demolition expert (Richard Harris) comes to realise that the extortionist is a friend from his past with whom he used to work.

It stared Richard Harris, Omar Sharif, Anthony Hopkins, Ian Holm, Freddie Jones and a well supported cast. It was more about tension and characters than "smash, bang, boom".

I highly recommend it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071706/

May 27, 2007
Hey Will & Russell,

Sounds like a winner. I'm in the mood for this kind of film. I just finished Jack Higgins's The Eagle Has Landed (The Novel). Ive seen the 1977 movie to this book and it's alright (key Word) but I wouldn't recommend you rushing out to rent it. Your better off reading the book.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
George-The flick is worth a look; character over action. "Eagle" is alright as a film, but you can never go wrong reading the original. It's like "A Fistful Of Dollars"; I love the flick, but "Yojimbo" is better-same with "Seven Samurai"/"Magnifigent Seven". MS is fun because Eli Wallach does 'Tuco' just like in HTWWW, and GB&U; it's like he's trying to perfect it. WILL

May 27, 2007
Hey Will

quote:

The flick is worth a look; character over action.
Thats my kind of movie. The Book The Eagle Has Landed was good and entertaining.

quote:

MS is fun because Eli Wallach does 'Tuco' just like in HTWWW, and GB&U; it's like he's trying to perfect it.
lol.gif
How True!
lol.gif

Feb 9, 2008
ANYWHERE-BUT-HERE
Now I may be mistaken here as I am very old and heading rapidly towards senility, but I seem to remember a book being passed around the Junior Engineers and Engineer Cadets when I was at sea in the early 70's. If memory serves me this book was the one the movie was based on and it contained vast tracts of procedures in the engine room it was a steam turbine the same as we were driving. Let's put it this way the book would never have gotten us our 2nd Engineers ticket, it was cobblers and downright dangerous!
We lent this book to the Chief Engineer, an alcoholic Scot who only operated whilst pished! He read the book and promptly threw it overboard telling us that if he ever saw us doing some of the things in this book we would soon be following the book into the briny!
Needless to say we did not use this book as reference when sitting our 2nd's tickets!
As a ps I remember Chief Lindsay broke his false teeth and had repaired them with Araldite and had put them in the hot press to cure when we had an Engine Room panic. Needless to say his teeth were a semi-molten pink and white sludge once the panic was over! Oh happy days!!! On another occasion I was taken off watches to repair his fishing rod! Stupidly admitted that I knew how to work the lathe! Did not get caught again!
'Crazytrucker'
132833.jpg

D

David Bubb

Loved the movie Juggernaut! My favorite bit of dialogue occurs between a passenger and a member of the crew shortly after the passenger inquired as to why they were steering in circles.
"Officer, I am a politician by trade. The mayor of a rather large city as a matter of fact. In my line of work, you have to be able to lie with remarkable dexterity. You must also be able to recognize a lie when it bites you in the ass, and I have just been bitten!"
If you haven't seen the movie, that bit makes it worth!

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
This movie was based on the real life bomb threat made on the QE2 in 1972. The QE2 was searched by its crew and a bomb disposal team was parachuted into the sea near the ship.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Yes, the "I Have Placed a Bomb on This Ship, and You Must Spend the Remainder of This Film Trying to Find and Defuse It (or Die Trying)" plot is quite popular.

I can recall seeing:

1. Part of a film where the person who planted the bomb is on the ship, and dies, exulting that it will destroy his enemy, named "Mister Dundee" (includes the dialogue of 'Ship Officer': "But hundreds of innocent passengers will die!", followed by 'Bomber': "And DUNDEE!!!").
That movie included the two elderly people sharing great stories about their lives, only to have them both confess, at the end of the film, that they were both exaggerating, big time, the man never having met world leaders - he was only a county politician from Nebraska- and the woman admitting she never sang at the Met or any of the world's opera stages;

2. "The French Atlantic Affair", released in late 1979 or early 1980; featured Telly Savalas as a Cult leager taking over an ocean liner, with Shelley Winters one of his most ardent followers
(SPOILER:

Until Telly destroys the ship, wherein Shelley shoots his character).

A film critic at the Los Angeles Times referred to the plot of "The French Atlantic Affair" as "asking the question": "What If Jim Jones Had Hijacked 'THE LOVE BOAT'?";

and

3. The 'CHARLIE'S ANGELS' episode, which was filmed on board the QUEEN MARY, about the man who planted the three bombs on an ocean liners, bombs that only 'Kelly' (Jacquelyn Smith), 'Sabrina' (Kate Jackson) and 'Jill' (Farah Fawcett, then Farah Fawcett Majors) could safely and properly dispose of.

For the last one, I asked about whether that episode was actually filmed on the ship.
The answer was "Yes", but that it was not too memorable, due to certain persons often being inibriated. That, sadly, "is part of life".