July or August 14 and 151912

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Tweed

This is right off the cuff!!
What if she had gone down on this date?
Would the temperature of the water be different at this time of season?
Lets say there was a berg at this time of year and she goes down, would the poor souls in the water have a chance?
Water temp is the ???
Just wondering aloud! -Don

Good question Don.....
I would say that is alot of water to heat sufficiantly enough to keep someone alive in it, even at 55 degrees it is still dangerous and since weather in the North Atlantic is unpredictable.....I would say their odds would have been much more favorable yes.....but there is not telling for sure just how cold that water is at that time of the year out there.

Regards,
Bill

Tracy Smith

Referring to a website dealing with cold water survival and hypothermia,

http://www.ussartf.o rg/cold_water_surviv al.htm

I saw that at 55F, the average expected time before exhaustion and unconsciousness sets it is one to two hours. Expected survival time is between one to six hours. For someone to remain alive indefinitely, the water should be at the very least, 70F.

Hope this was of some help.

Water temperature does not change much over the course of a year. Of course it would be the the coldest in winter and warmest in summer, but there really would only be a few degrees of change. Considering the iceberg in this vicinity 3 months later would mean the water temperature would have been basically the same. If the Titanic were to survive but sink in August for no particular reason, with no iceberg in sight, the water temp would have been higher, but 3 months is not sufficient enough for it to heat up any decent amount. It would have only been a few degrees warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.