June 1911: Olympics's Maiden Voyage

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

Thanks for the 'small correction', as they say on the charts.

For some reason, I'd assumed the film was a composite of shots from New York and Southampton. Looking again, the shed gives it away.

M

Michael Cundiff

After reading the posts above, I reflected on a previous post of mine, however, it may have been on [email protected] (now defunct) or what have you. Anyhow a N.Y. Times June 2? 1911 column headed: BIGGEST OF LINERS GETS NOISY WELCOME

Of particular interest to me was, and I quote:

"The Lusitania did not salute the latest addition to the Atlantic fleet as she passed either by whistle or dipping the ensign, which was generally done by other liners moored at their piers along the water front. It was thought that in the hurry of getting his ship under way and receiving congratulations on his coronation honor of Commander of the Bath, Capt. Charles, skipper of the Lusitania, overlooked the Olympic as she passed the Cunard pier."

END QUOTE
Source: NY Times microfilm June 2? 1911.

Overlooked the Olympic?

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

[Moderator's note: The complete text of the NYT article referred to here appears earlier in this thread; it's dated 22 June 1911. MAB]

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Overlooked the Olympic? <<

Possibly. When a ship is getting underway, the watch has a lot on it's mind. If the Olympic was out of the way, she wouldn't have been a priority concern.

Of course, it could have been a snub as well.

M

Matt DiTullio

I guess the Lusitania was jealous. Poor thing. : (

By the way, I loved reading this. I am currently reading Lusitania : An Epic Tragedy and in the book it talks about the immense welcome the Lusitania received arriving in New York for the first time. So I was just a bit curious as to what kind of welcome Olympic received. Thanks for the articles.

M

Matt DiTullio

Thanks Mark! I'll have to check it out as soon as I feel like reading. lol . Take care. ; )

Glenys Young

Glenys Young

Hi all. I'm trying to do some research comparing the Titanic's voyage with the maiden voyage of the Olympic. Does anyone have information on Olympic's speed or location at various points during the voyage?